• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 Shock Recommendations

jplace1011

4 Wheel Parts was going to charge me $160 for an inspection! I got my other buddy to do one for Free.

It looks like the Sway Arm Bushings need replaced, Front Bearings need Repacked and the Lower Ball Joints need replaced. I’m going to replace the Upper ones as well.

I got some quotes and it’s not going to be cheap for the labor!

In the meantime I went ahead and ordered the parts via Amazon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cucvrus

4 Wheel Parts was going to charge me $160 for an inspection! I got my other buddy to do one for Free.

It looks like the Sway Arm Bushings need replaced, Front Bearings need Repacked and the Lower Ball Joints need replaced. I’m going to replace the Upper ones as well.

Do the labor yourself. It is not that hard. The only tool you need is a ball joint C clamp. You could pay for all the tools in the labor savings alone. This is basic hand tools stuff. A cordless 1/2" impact would be nice but it can be done with manual breaker bars and a vise.

cucvrus

I have all these procedures pictured in my rebuild threads. Ball Joints are easy.

jplace1011

I have all these procedures pictured in my rebuild threads. Ball Joints are easy.

*Update* A handful of work was done on the Front End of my M1009.

Front Bearings Replaced and Packed
Front Axle & Hub Seals Replaced
Hub Locks Replaced
Front Upper and Lower Ball Joints Replaced
Front Sway Bar Bushings Replaced

I can really notice a difference with the way it rides and handles. It seems smoother in some ways and stiffer in other ways. Even when I slow down and stop it feels better.

The Bushings for the Front Leaf Spring still need to be replaced. I can see that they are in bad shape. In particular on the ends that attach to the Frame. That will be fixed soon.

I didn’t know much about any of these parts and how they affect things. It’s been very educational.

Thank You everyone for all of your Input. I deeply appreciate you!

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks