• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m1009 short circut?

warblazer4x4

Ok driving down the highway yesterday all of a sudden every thing went dead, motor, lights, everything, tried to restart no power. narrowed it down to some kind of short circuit ending with the battery up front. Any known things you can think of that could cause this

Crash_AF

Several things could cause it, but the first thing you need to do is check the fusible links. It sounds like you blew the one between the battery and the distribution block on the firewall.

First, make sure the front battery has 12V
Then, check the small wire coming off of the dogbone (battery interconnection cable) that runs along the inner fender and across the firewall to the diamond shaped two post distribution block near the master cylinder on the firewall.
If the wire is ok, check the distribution block with a voltmeter to see if you have 12V at the block. This is the main 12V power for the truck.

If you don't have 12V there, the fusible link in that feed wire is blown. I would get a fuse holder and put a 30A fuse in it. Make a jumper wire from the battery to the 12V junction block with that fuse holder. Turn off the heater fan (if it's on) and all the lights then connect the jumper to the block. If it blows, there is a short on the truck side of the block that you need to find. If it is ok, check the function of each accessory individually. If they all test out, try to start the truck.

If it all checks out, replace your jumper with a new (properly rated) fusible link on the feed wire and you should be good to go. Sometimes the fusible links fry from old age without a major problem. I would not recommend just jumping the fuse block with an unfused circuit because if it were to have a short, there could be a fire or you could damage the truck's main wiring harness.

Later,
Joe

Croatan_Kid

My M1008 did the same thing sorta....I was changing all of the belts and grounded an alternator. The following weeks drove me crazy trying to find the fuseable link! It had hidden itself behind the hydro-booster :shock:

rfischba1

I just found your reply, I had the same situation last night My M1009 died w/ no power/lights, nothing. It hapened when I tried to turn on my heater, its been working on and off maybe a bad motor. Could the heater switch or bad heater motor cause a fuseable link to blow?
Thanks
Randy

BobM

I just found your reply, I had the same situation last night My M1009 died w/ no power/lights, nothing. It hapened when I tried to turn on my heater, its been working on and off maybe a bad motor. Could the heater switch or bad heater motor cause a fuseable link to blow?
Thanks
Randy
See? I tole' ya!:-D

maritimer

ypir lucky when i snapped my transmission in half awhile back the local tow trucks wouldnt touch it cause "its a military truck and we aitn allowed to tow them" me and my girlfriend pushed it home it was only about a half mile or so but still 6k lbs of truck and several up hill grades and we where hurting by the time we got home lol

BobM

Still looking for that short, (fuseable link). Wish now I had a tow bar, better that paying a tow truck.
If I were there, you could borrow mine or I would come tow you. but I'm about 644 miles away.(Trust me I remember ALL of them!)
To get people's attention make a new post with "HELP" in the title. I'll bet you get plenty offers of help.;-)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks