• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 slow crank/no start

justinwregier

My M1009 wouldnt start this morning for the first time since I got it... Sunday drove 300 miles and monday fired up good but Tuesday nothing.

I thought maybe it wasnt that big of a deal and came back to it hours later today and the problem was worse. Now the volt meter barely rises into the yellow and the crank is very weak.

I was thinking a pair of fresh batteries would help since the two under the hood are a bit old.

Also I was hoping this may be a problem someone on here has overcome and any advice would help.

I have the manuals but electric/24v is unfamiliar.

Thanks

Ken_86gt

Sounds like the batteries are low. You need to put a charger on them and then have the batteries load tested at your local auto parts store- you can't load test weak or dead batteries. If they won't hold a charge then they are bad. Are you sure that you didn't leave something on that is draining the battery?

justinwregier

Headlights in off position, blackout lights in off position and everything else (whats left?) is off. The truck is stock so I cannot think of anything that would be draining the batteries except maybe age and cold starting. I did try to crank a few times today and each time it was weaker and weaker. The glow plug lights is on and the CLICK behind the dash happens, just now the seems like no power to turn it over?!

I dont have access to a charger, which is part of my posting since it does seem like weak batteries and I was hoping to solve the problem with new ones...

My CUCV is my only vehicle so my repair options are based on getting a ride to buy parts and fix it myself or towing it to a shop. I feel batteries are a good purchase regardless but any other advice is welcome since there are only so many days I can get by without driving.

:smile:

combatmech

On the subject of batteries..... Which commercial batterys are best for these old mil trucks? I installed two 12v 800 amp duralast batteries. The truck just eats them up ( Front battery only ).

Mudstone

I would say your batteries are not holding charge or perhaps are not charging... check your grounds on both alt. then see if your batts get some charge.

@Combat Mech there are a bunch of threads on batts for the cucv also there is info about it in the wiki. However the truck should never "eat up batteries" perhaps your charging is off check both your alts.

BobMassive

having same problem. have original batteries, slow crank, no start. had both batts tested at autozone and appeared fine. pulled both alts and starter and had them tested. all working fine. i can only suggest replacing batteries and cleaning every connection so you know for certain its not the batts. ill be doing that tomorrow and i expect it to start like a champ!

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Have any of your guys GEN1 and GEN2 lights been working when the key is truned to the run position?

If the lights don't work the alternators will not work.

BobMassive

Both lights are on with key in on position. put new batts in, optima 800s, and after 20+ cranks finally started. runs terribly. Possible fuel issue but at least charging system is working. Ive read it a hundred times on this site, be ABSOLUTELY sure batts are fully charged!