• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 snorkel

saddamsnightmare

November 28th, 2011.

Very similar to the Mann & Hummel Zclone pre filters used on the Unimogs for the last 50 years.... Wonder were Cat got the idea? You do know that most true fording set ups pressureize the brake drums, axles, transfer case and arrange for the slopper valves and/or crankcase breater to be vented through the snorkel stack? I am not sure if GM ever conceived of a pickup going through as much as 2-1/2 feet of water stock. You will also want to slightly loosen the fan belt before you ford the truck, otherwise your radiator is going to get a lovely round fan shaped hole in it. Unimogs and true MV's have designed into them the preliminary set ups for conversion to fording, and they also have incorporated usually very simple ways to let the fan belts slip.

Good luck, it should be interesting to see what happens if you actually get water over the top of the hood, I would be concerned about all that little better then civillian electrical wiring in the truck itself.

:-D

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So this is my set up just waiting to be painted (whole vehicle) here in the next couple of weeks. The snorkel works great, or at least it seems to be working great. Have yet to find some deep rivers for fording here in southern cali. Bu the cat precleaner is working great and everything seems to be pretty air tight. I have more pictures.
Do you have a drawing od the steel pipe for future manufacturing..?

Nice job..!

paramilusmc

Welded in a 6 inch length of the same pipe over the oval and filled the gaps with weld, then connected the two with a 4 inch flexible coupler from NAPA.

I have no drawing the exhaust company did everything.

Currently not in Southern Cali, sorry. But I can point you in the right direction if your going to be around the Oceanside area.

wilsonmotors

i know this is a old thread but i was thinking i want to do this. i had the idea to use a 6.5 turbo intake and hat to seal the engine and make a air filter box does anyone have any ideas if this will work better to seal the engine?

MackeyK5

So this is my set up just waiting to be painted (whole vehicle) here in the next couple of weeks. The snorkel works great, or at least it seems to be working great. Have yet to find some deep rivers for fording here in southern cali. Bu the cat precleaner is working great and everything seems to be pretty air tight. I have more pictures.
Hello can you tell me the size you used for the black and red hose please?

richingalveston

I believe the 6.5 intake and hat only has a 2.5 inch pipe connection. I could be wrong on the exact size but it is small and designed for pressurized air. without a turbo, it will be very restrictive for a NA motor.