• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 Stars, Warms Up, then Stalls!

CompoundCuckVee

I can't gifure it out, I start it up with a new fuel filter, fully charged batteries, and a full tank of diesel with diesel kleen, and it starts right up, every time. But when it gets all warmed up, after about 15 minutes, it just stalls out at idle. Same thing when I'm driving it around, I'll let it warm up, take it out for a ride, and it just stalls randomly. It stalls under acceleration, deceleration, at idle, it just wont stay running! The return line isn't blocked, the filter isn't clogged, there's no air in the lines, the low pressure side of the pump is at correct pressure, I don't know what it is. I need some help guys. Is it just a tired IP? Could it be the HPCA, or the Fast-Idle Selenoid? I haven't checked the injectors yet, I'm not sure how to go about doing that. But I brought it to a local diesel repair shop, and the guy won't touch it, i tell him all this stuff, and he just says, "I wish you'd have said it was military before you towed it over, I could have saved you the tow." I'm up the creek without a paddle on this one, anybody have any suggestions?

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
What the Hell does military have to do with anything?, it's a GM 6.2.......

Based on the description, have you tried running 12v a jumper wire to the solenoid on the IP? maybe you have an intermittent connection and are losing it at random. remember the only way to turn off the motor when you do this is to remove the jumper. But it may be worth a try.

n1bnc

What part of Southern NH do you hail from??? There is a fellow in the Salem area that has the Blazer variant and he is well versed with the anomolies...

Westech

CPL
that's what I would say also is the wire to the fuel shut off or a weak fuel shut off. I had that problem with my M1008. the solenoid was shot and would cut on and off, I replaced the part (with a used one of course) and not a problem after.

CCATLETT1984

The shutoff solenoid that they are referring to is just under the top cover of the injector pump (where the pink wire attaches). The common test for it is to pull the wire with the key to "run" but engine off. When you put the wire back on you should hear a distinctive "click".

CCATLETT1984

it very well could be the pump is bad, as the pump heats up the fuel thins out and will seep past worn seals in a bad pump and not build pressure.

Adding a few qts of ATF to the fuel will thicken it a bit when its warm, also icing the IP will help diagnose a worn pump.

JAsher45

CCATLETT1984 said:
it very well could be the pump is bad, as the pump heats up the fuel thins out and will seep past worn seals in a bad pump and not build pressure.

Adding a few qts of ATF to the fuel will thicken it a bit when its warm, also icing the IP will help diagnose a worn pump.

I have seen this on brand new pumps right out of the box on the dyno... that is one of the first ways i truoble shoot an IP if the engine stalls and shuts off ... pour ice cold water over the pump and refire the engine and if it starts the shut off solnoind is bad..

CompoundCuckVee

Thanks guys! I'll be checking that solenoid when its back in my yard on Monday (AAA won't tow off a 'closed lot'). I hope that the trouble, I'm not in deep enough to replace the whole pump yet, I'm still learning my way around this truck.

n1bnc - I'm in Plaistow, NH. Just about 12 miles east of Salem. I'm glad I'm not the only one in the area, I'm new to Diesels, not just Military Vehicles. So far though, sooooooo good!