• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 Starting Issues

cqb1876

Ok gents, I have read several posts about 1009s having issues with the starting system, and well i have one too. I am in iraq so everything is "battlefield recovery" as far as parts go. Basically when i turn the key on the glow plug light comes on then off just as it should, then when i turn the key the relay under the dash clicks once and the motor will turn over or not, it is a crap shoot. If i mess with it long enough i can get it to work and it starts fine. But this thing has left me stranded a few times and it is killin me! I took the relay our from the dash and cleaned all of the connections, and put it back in. it worked well for a day then it acted up again. the solonoid on the firewall sometimes "clunks" and some times it doesnt. SO MY QUESTION IS WHAT SHOULD I CHECK OR DO?
1. I would really like to disconnect the wire from the solonoid to starter and just run a "stand alone" push button system, is this a good idea? I figured it would work, just turn key on, glow plugs warm up, then reach over and hit the starter power button, and away we go? I am not a mechanic at all, i just build harleys and shoot extremists in the face, and that just about sums it up. so any help would be appreciated. Thanx in advance guys!

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The relay replacement is a good idea.

It sounds like you have a bad/dirty ground somewhere.

Also disconnect the batteries, remove all each fuse and clean the contacts with Electrical Contact Cleaner and a nail file or sand paper if needed. Also check to make sure the contacts are makeing good contact. You may need to "bend" them back into place.

cqb1876

Thanx to all for your help. RALBELT I may take you up on the offer. I did read the doghead article, and I am fairly certian that is the issue. Trying to get my wife to go to napa and get this relay , is well basically impossible. I havent had a chance to go through the elec. connections yet as I spent the day cutting the 15" wheels and welding them on some kick-butt hummwv wheels so I can have some wrangler 37.5 tires with bead locks. Tomorrow my Iraqi mechanic is installing a 3" body lift, that should afford me the opportunity to get under the ol girl and clean some connections. I am not a mechanic in the army at all so 24v crap is all foriegn to me. Once again thank all of you for your help, ill keep ya up on what happens with this beast.

Attachments

cqb1876

No it is a truck that was literally half way buried in a tank ditch, some one left it there a while ago. the funny thing is the dispatch is still in the glove box and it is dated '03!! I found it pulled it to our firebase, changed fluids, new batteries, new tires, brakes, cut the mufflers off (gotta have straight pipes it pisses off the regular army SGMs) and she fired right up. no oil leaks nothing. until the starter issue it has ran flawlessly even in 10000000 degree heat. Oh yeah there is an APB out for all units with CUCVs to turn them in to the drmo yard in bagdad so they can destroy them!!!!!!! WTF? I guess they do not want haji driving real american 4x4s!!

cqb1876

ok gents, here is an update. I took the truck to our local Haji repair shop and guess what? The owner was actually an L3 mechanic and has worked on cucv's and hummers before. He squared away the elec prob with a relay he had in the shop and it has ran great for a week. Thank all of you for your help/thoughts. I am painting this beast today or tomm black with some flames and out unt symbol, got the 35 x 12.50s and the lift put on. Got the hajis making a cool winch assy/bunper for the front as well. should be a nice ride when done. Almost done getting it off the property books, and I have arranged with a frieght carrier to haul it home for me. ($1200) I have always wanted one of these, and now I finally have one and I am fairly certian I wont ever build another kind of truck period. :beer:

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Congrats on getting it running.

For future reference what all was repaired? Starter relay? Bad contacts?

cqb1876

Yes it was, the Hajjis actually had a brand new relay in thier shop so it is good to hook. runs like a champ!! Thanx to all!!!
The haji slayer is undergoing major plastic surgery this week, i will post an array of pics for all to see. Also Got a shipping container set up to haul her home. Getting it taken of the books it was way too easy. **** Yeah!!!

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Once you get back, find yourself a set of the Smittybilt GEAR set covers. Several color choices are available.

And they NOW have a tailgate cover and a overhead console. Both of which are new and now I'm going to have to look into them.

I'm in the process of designing one of my M1009's into a recon type vehicle. I'm going to remove the rear top like you've done, make a sturdy roll cage, it'll have the netting like you see in off road trucks, plus I'm incorporating a place to stow a set of camo netting poles, camo netting, etc, etc, etc....

I guess I'll incorporate the overhead console into the roll bar or see if it fits on the steel of the front cab...

G.E.A.R.

I love mine.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/cucv/37542-g-e-r-seat-covers-installed-my-m1009.html

And in regards of painting it black with flames. Make the flames a combo of green and tan. It would look killer.

cqb1876

those flames would look killer, however, i have the guys doing red flames, with green borders, (my motorcycle club colors are black, red, and green)

Ill check out the covers, thanx bro.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks