• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m1009 starting issues

SGTskully

Not to be a newbie or anything but I cannot figure out why my m1009 wont start. I have been thru the tm, checked all the threads ect. It got to less than 1/4 tank two weeks ago and would not start, ok air in the lines. got it started and topped off, drove her for an hr or so, good to go. She started all week last week but started hard the first time, then she sould start almost immediatly the rest of the day. Good til this am. She wont start. Relay tests fine, fuel is good, gp modile tests ok. All I could get on any glow plugs was an infinity/open reading. Being new to desiels they wouldnt all fail at the same time like that could they. It never idled or ran rough at all
Any advice would be appreciated as i must be missing something.

cpf240

Sounds like the glow plugs are all bad based on the readings you got. If it is still wired in the stock configuration, ie using the 24v supply to the glow plugs, it is possible for them all to go pretty quickly. It is also possible that some of them were bad already. Mine started just fine on 6 glow plugs.

Take a look here for threads on converting the glow plug supply to 12v. This one is probably a good place to start: http://www.steelsoldiers.com/cucv/56682-what-why-did-smoke.html

SGTskully

I kind figured that they were all bad just happened all of a sudden it seemed. Ill do the bypass resistor mod and put in new plugs, I am also doing the doghead relay mod this weekend.
Thanx

SGTskully

Ok guys tell me this, I ohmed all the glow plugs, infinity reading. All bad right. Tonight just by dumb chance I tried to start it and it started right up. Its 90 here today but still. it has not started for daays. I have been thru tm and all else is good. I have checked all wiring, good. I did doghead relay mod and alsso resistor pack removal mod. I plan on changing all gps tomm with ac60g. I caqnt be running on 4 or 5 gp's can i