• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 starting problem

chaparral2j

my M1009 starts fine after it has run for awhile, but when you first start it you have to crank it with your foot all the way down on the accelerator for a few seconds, and if its cold (50 degrees or lower) it is a real pain,2 cranks or more, which is bad for the battery especially in the cold. My theory is air in the fuel system, because I have already tested the glowplug connectors with a 12v light tester and they all passed, but it could still be bad glowplugs right? So could someone show me how to bleed the air out of the fuel system and find and fix the leak, because I'm changing the fuel filter anyways and also changing the glowplugs, what kind should I get. The 24/12 system is still intact and I hear all the clicks when the glowplug light is on so I guess that means the controller card is working. thanks.

Barrman

Have you done the resistance test on each glow plug? Just because they are getting power doesn't mean they are working.

The TM 9-2320-289-20 manual really should be in your hand anytime there is a problem with the truck. It has a huge trouble shooting section that will walk you through just about anything wrong with the truck.

How did it start when it was warm out? Since it starts fine once warmed up, I would suspect the glow plugs more than air in the fuel. Not saying it can't be both. Everything needs to be checked on these things since they are so old.

One tip for the fuel filter replacement. Warm the engine up first so that first start will be easier.

Grantshire

my M1009 starts fine after it has run for awhile, but when you first start it you have to crank it with your foot all the way down on the accelerator for a few seconds, and if its cold (50 degrees or lower) it is a real pain,2 cranks or more, which is bad for the battery especially in the cold. My theory is air in the fuel system, because I have already tested the glowplug connectors with a 12v light tester and they all passed, but it could still be bad glowplugs right? So could someone show me how to bleed the air out of the fuel system and find and fix the leak, because I'm changing the fuel filter anyways and also changing the glowplugs, what kind should I get. The 24/12 system is still intact and I hear all the clicks when the glowplug light is on so I guess that means the controller card is working. thanks.
Have the same problem but I have a little wetness around the fuel pump so I think the fuel is leaking back allowing air in the line.