• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 Starting Problem

Wagner

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My M1009 had been running fine after sitting for four months. However today it would not start. I charged the batteries and the engine would turn very slowly however then smoke started to come from the Gen#1 Alternator terminal and a relay near the firewall.

I shut it down and noticed one positive battery cables was not.

Wagner

jkrieg

Load test those batteries, make sure the terminals and cable ends are clean, make sure the connections are tight. What relay near the firewall are you referring to? If you're referring to the one just above and left of the brake master cylinder, that is the glow plug contactor relay. If the input cable is corroded or loose, that can produce some heat. CUCV electrical systems aren't really that complicated. Do you have the TMs for your truck?

Wagner

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have Military Blazer Repair Manual tm9-2320-289-20p however I did not see any topics referring to starting issues. I have charged the batteries at least to where the charger is showing zero amps for output. I am going to pull the batteries and take them for a load test. Yes the smoke seemed to be comming from the round silver device to the left of the master cylinder with several wires connected to it if you are looking from the front of the vehicle.

Thank you all for the suggestions.

gijoe13

You need to do the resistor bypass. Your glowplug relay is probably toast. You really need to troubleshoot before you do more damage. Search under resistor bypass and go from there. You also need to check all of your ground wires. Clean them and make sure they are tight. Good luck.

Last edited:

Wagner

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I removed the batteries today and took them to NAPA for a load test. One battery failed and I ordered a replacement I also got the relay needed for the Doghead starter relay upgrade.

I will look into the GP relay resistor bypass. The wait light is staying on longer than usual however perhaps the failed battery increased the GP warm up time.

Thank you.

Wagner

ryan77

you also may have a bad ground, try using a jumper cable from the motor to the negative batt terminal!

mudman

My light was staying on way to long also..turns out to be the GP Solonoid! short the blue wire to ground and listen for the clack sound, andcheck voltage on the bottom big post!!!

Wagner

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The new batteries seem to have fixed the problem. The Wait light now goes off quickly when the engine is warm and I can hear the GP relay clicking as it should.

I need to do further work on the grounding issue as their may be a weak ground connection in the electrical circuit.

Thanks all for the good posts.