• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m1009 starts sputtering and shuts off?

chevyman7579

Hey everybody im new to steel soldiers atleast member wise ive been creeping for a while. I just picked up an 85 m1009 a few days ago that has been sitting for almost a year. Got the truck and had to put a new starter in it luckily the guy still had the warranty on it so that was free. Wouldnt start because the filter was plugged, changed that and couldnt get it to stop leaking and also the lift pump was very weak. Decided id just eliminate 2 problems and put in an electric pump and a spin on filter. Got the thing going and was ecstatic let it run for about 5 min then took it for a spin got maybe 1/4 mile and it just started sputtering and shut off. Couldnt get it to start again came back next day with the gf and my wheeler and pulled it home. Everything seemed to have fuel so I figured just a little air in the system (im a diesel mechanic but im 22 so im very fluent with new stuff not these so not sure if that was a dumb thought but the new diesels hold air for a really long time) and ethered it and got it to fire right back up ran fine and did the same thing again. The pump I bought is a walbro 8-11 psi and 40 gph from what I read thought that was plenty big not sure though any ideas or maybe did I get the wrong kind of spin on filter that lets air in somehow its one for a truck bed fuel transfer tank? Any help would be greatly appreciated thanks. Also didnt find a rule to post in a newb thread sorry if thats the case

chevyman7579

Also it smokes alot when I get it to start for a minute once it has already died but slowly kind of just shuts down again and I do have 12.5v to the injection pump amd if I do unplug the power to it the solenoid makes a solid sounding click.

chevyman7579

Would it really let it run for so long before acting up if it was air and during acceleration at that and I took the fitting off the ip for the return and the return line is wet and the ball is clear is it supposed to be at the bottom of the fitting like toward the ip.

chevyman7579

Yea ive heard of them doing that just wasnt sure because theres another thread on here where a guys truck is kind of doing the same thing and everyone was saying his ip was the culprit I appreciate the response

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks