• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 Steering "Delay" or "Shift"

mgramann

Hi all,

After some searching, and coming up empty handed, I figured I would ask.

My M1009 recently started acting strange while making turns. Sometimes when I turn the wheel, it doesn't start to steer the vehicle right away. It feels as if the front end "shifts" and then starts to turn.

I jacked up each front wheel, and did the kick/wiggle check to see if there was obvious slop in the ball joints, steering linkage, or tre's. Everything seemed tight.

I did notice the leaf spring bushings were cracked a bit, and some leaf's not perfectly "aligned" but am not sure if that is related, since they looked that way long before this issue started.

Any ideas on what it could be, or how I could diagnose the issue? I'm mechanically minded, but I'm stumped on this one.

Barrman

Try having someone saw back and forth on the steering wheel while you lay under neath and look/feel/listen for slop. Check your tire psi as well. Steering box bolts too.

winslows

The frames can crack around the box too, on my last Civilian K5 I went ahead and braced it there while switching boxes if thats what it turns out to be.

armytruck63

While following Barrman's advice, also watch the front crossmember. A friend of mine had to replace the rivets with grade 8 bolts because the rivets were loose. He had half a turn of free play in his steering wheel. If it were me, I would try to find a frame repair place and get the rivets replaced rather than using grade 8 bolts.

mgramann

I checked for the cracking, and it was solid.

I just took it for another ride. It's really very odd. When you start to turn the wheel, you feel a little resistance, but the vehicle continues straight. When you continue turning, it gets easier all of a sudden, and it's almost like the vehicle tries to catch up, and it turns sharper than you would like.

mgramann

Hmmm. I don't know what role the u-joints would play, especially with the hubs unlocked. I've had u-joints go on several jeeps, and usually they click and clack, but do not effect steering in a way I am experiencing. The hub bearings take the vehicle weight, while the ujoints generally deal with delivering "drive" force, when connected.

Hasdrubal

Well, to clear things up a little. We are talking about driving on pavement, 2 wheel drive, hubs unlocked. The u-joints allow the hub assembly to turn, so when they seize up they start binding giving these weird steering issues. I'm not referring to the front driveshaft u-joints...these are at the end of your axles. Take a look under your truck, you'll see them. I think you can test them by trying to turn them by hand ,,cant quite remember now. Had greasable u-joints put in. I understand your train of thought, these shouldn't have any effect on steering in 2WD. When I called my CUCV knowlegable friend and explained the symptoms, he knew right away what it was. There was no clicking or squeeling noise heard as when your driveshaft u-joints start grinding bearings into dust.

Last edited:

mgramann

I also was referring to the axleshaft u-joints, not the driveshaft joints. That is a great point about them having turn, even when the hubs aren't locked-I never thought of that. It would make sense, since it doesn't do it on every turn.

I'll disagree with you on the clicking/squeaking though. Every axleshaft joint I have ever worked on has been noisy, especially when the needle bearings fall out or seize.

Either way, I'll check them out. Thanks!

choll

I had a very similar issue a few years ago after going nuts for about a month and checking everything mentioned above, I was told to check the bolt that holds the spring pack. Its the one in the center of the springs between the ubolts. Both of mine were sheered off. This vehicle was only used off road.

ranchhopper

I had a very similar issue a few years ago after going nuts for about a month and checking everything mentioned above, I was told to check the bolt that holds the spring pack. Its the one in the center of the springs between the ubolts. Both of mine were sheered off. This vehicle was only used off road.
I was going to suggest this your axle is probably sliding back and forth on the spring. We had a semi tractor with the same thing and found the head of the center bolt sheared off allowing the axle to shift on the spring while turning.

mich

I'm having the same issue.
Bolts, rods, joints look fine. When turning the steering wheel, with or without engine running I don't see anything moving what's not supposed to move.
Had to change one tire recently. It developed a bulge. I have driven with that tire at quite low pressure to get home before it would fail completely. I drove slow but the truck would pull a lot to that side. I should've lowered the tire pressure on the other side too because I'm now thinking this caused this issue somehow.
I haven't checked the powersteering fluid level, could a low level cause this behavior somehow?

chevyCUCV

I am having the same problem
My truck has new tie rods, steering box and tires.

Are there any more signs that will point to whether it is the u joint that is bad or a center pin on the leaf spring?

Tomorrow i'll check out the u joint and reinspect the front end... again

mgramann

I am having the same problem
My truck has new tie rods, steering box and tires.

Are there any more signs that will point to whether it is the u joint that is bad or a center pin on the leaf spring?

Tomorrow i'll check out the u joint and reinspect the front end... again
From the sound of it, my mechanic lifted the front up and I suspect he disconnected the steering linkage(im betting tie rods Then he tried to turn the wheels by hand, which should move freely when disconnected. One would not move at all. The made it one of two things, bad ball joints or ujoints. He pulled the axleshaft and the ujoint wouldn't move, so that was the problem.

Maybe there is a better way to diagnose, but I don't know it.

chevyCUCV

I was going to work on it today but it rained and is raining for the next couple days.
Ill try it later this week

At least i have new u joints already, ordered them and never installed.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks