• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 Steering pop

Ghost2012

Okay, this is a problem I've only had on Chevy, solid axle leaf sprung trucks (never Ford)...

Whenever I reverse the torque flow (i.e. reverse the steering from left to right, especially from lock to lock), causes an occaional popping noise that seems to be coming from the steering box.

However, I have checked all leaf spring bushings, check/replaced/greased all tie rods... replaced the steering boxes (checked the frame for cracks and the bolts for tightness) checked the splines and done pretty much everything except install an ORD frame brace...

What the **** is making this noise?

P.S. I've also replaced the rag joint AND steering shaft.

:lost:

Ghost2012

Have you checked to steering dampener? look at the steering stop's maybe one is bent. just a couple that comes to mind!
Pass stop is good, I will check the drivers tomorrow as well as the steering dampners as well.

Edited to add:

I've also had ALL the ball joints replaced.

I will also check the drivers u-joint.

What are the chances the popping could be tied to the frame flexing from the bigger tires?

WARWAG

Sounds Like your frame is cracked where the steering box is mounted. This is a common problem especially on units that were used alot off road. If you install bigger tires ect then this problem "WILL" happen. Heres the fix. Use both the bolt on brace and weld on reinforcement brace. You should do this even if your frame is not cracked "yet".

ORD Chevy GM Steering Box Brace and Bolt-in Frame Repair

Last edited:

WARWAG

I'll call the local shop tomorrow and get a quote on welding, just in case. Where would I look for cracks exactly?
Around where it mounts to the frame. You will see. With the hood open and the engine running (brakes on in park have the little lady turn the wheel back and forth. You will find it.. Dont stick your head in the wheel well. Thats when she will accidently turn the wheel into you naggen,:driver:

mistaken1

Around where it mounts to the frame. You will see. With the hood open and the engine running (brakes on in park have the little lady turn the wheel back and forth. You will find it.. Dont stick your head in the wheel well. Thats when she will accidently turn the wheel into you naggen,:driver:

LOL Accidentally or accidentally on purpose? Guess it depends on how she feels about the green iron addiction. :mrgreen:

rnd-motorsports

I know you said you checked the spring bushings may be worth a second look at the rear ones mostly with the stock rubber they will load when you turn the wheel when you get to lock or the wheel turns the bushing will unload and sound like a pop! look at the frame just above the bushing see if it has a spot that the spring has touched, have somebody turn the wheel and watch the shackles. Yes the steering box is a possible crack area. But I have not seen it on the 1 ton frame as they are a bit heavier.Not saying it not pos.

Ghost2012

Spring bushings all all new, no cracking or splitting. Frame looks okay but the ENTIRE frame rail from the engine cross member forward seems to be flexing???

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks