• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 Steering Wheel Removal

ssdvc

I am going to post a "How To", step by step, with pictures and tool requirements, for this procedure, for us more mechanically challenged amongst us (including me). I didn't see anything like this when I did a search, so forgive me if it has already been done. It looks to be a relitively easy thing to do, but, as below, some things are not explained.

Plate Under Wheel.jpg

That said, can someone tell me how to remove this plate (above), which is located after the steering wheel and is visible once the wheel comes off. This is as far as I have gotten today.

Thanks.

86m1028

I am going to post a "How To", step by step, with pictures and tool requirements, for this procedure, for us more mechanically challenged amongst us (including me). I didn't see anything like this when I did a search, so forgive me if it has already been done. It looks to be a relitively easy thing to do, but, as below, some things are not explained.

View attachment 275575

That said, can someone tell me how to remove this plate (above), which is located after the steering wheel and is visible once the wheel comes off. This is as far as I have gotten today.

Thanks.

There is a tool that screws on the steering shaft that presses the black plate down. Once the plate is pressed down remove the snap ring on the shaft. Remove tool & the plate slides off.
It can be done without tool but it is much harder to do.

ssdvc

Would AutoZone have something like that and what's it called? The TM doesn't list anything for that.

ssdvc

Also, the plate doesn't rotate. If you look carefully, it looks like the locking pin is poking through one of the "scallops" on the plates edge. Is the plate keyed to the steering wheel shaft?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The procedure is clearly shown and described in the -34 TM.

I found it by opening my pdf file of the TM and looking at the pages for a picture that looked like the steering column.(it's in the section about replacing the direction signal switch).

Do you have the CUCV TMs saved?

Attachments

Last edited:

86m1028

Also, the plate doesn't rotate. If you look carefully, it looks like the locking pin is poking through one of the "scallops" on the plates edge. Is the plate keyed to the steering wheel shaft?
The pin in the "scallops" is the steering lock (when key is off).
Yes the plate is keyed to the shaft.
There is a heavy spring under that plate pushing up against the snap ring.

EDIT; Doghead nailed it.

ssdvc

Roger, roger. I was in the -20 and after following the advice above, I did find it in the -34 (Kinda hidden, isn't it?).:cookoo:

I'll check with AutoZone tomorrow and get this puppy off. Update to follow.

Thanks All !![thumbzup][thumbzup]

acesneights1

I bought my tool at sears. They actually sell them. In a pinch you can use a pick to get the lock ring out and then to reinstall cut a piece of copper water pipe(I forget what size but wanna say 3/4 inch) just long enough so you can get the nut started and the nut will push the lockring down with the plate as you tighten.