• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 Straight Pipes?

warblazer4x4

I have been playing around with the idea of straight pipes on the m1009 would this be to loud? A buddy of mine with a civy 6.2 Suburban said the noise isnt bad, any one done this? If also been told this is illegal for the lack of mufflers.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
I have a straight pipe on the veggie Ranger.....no flack from the Man yet.
It couldn't be worse than the noise from the rolling ghetto blasters the knuckle draggers drive around in.
Why not try a set of Flowmasters?

CCATLETT1984

Dont do it, LOUD AS HELL!!!!!!!

It will sound like a dragster when you step on it, lopey idle and all. Seriously you need some kind of muffler on these trucks, or a turbo (acts like a muffler)

Alredneck

Banned
Stick with glasspacks or flowmasters they would sound better through out the rpm range than just plain straights. If you do go straight make sure you have a crossover pipe either a H or X configuration to balance out the exhaust it will preform better and sound better. That may be harder to do with the front driveshaft and tcase in the way. 6.2s sound pretty mean uncapped, when I was in kosovo we walked by a shop that had a humvee getting worked on and the exhaust was undone. That thing sounded meaner than heck. Me and my buddy then started thinking about putting a flowmaster on our assigned truck but figured our chain of command might not like the idea. Oh well it woulda added some more pshyops factor to the violence of action when we did our raids.

msoumas

Anyone tried running Cherrybomb mufflers on a 1009? I'm thinking about it considering the $20 price tag, but I want it to sound good, too.

maritimer

i run cherry bombs on my m1009 and with the top off its not that noticeable but with the top on it is defintly more noticable then with factory exhaust. i like it and most people for some wreason move out of the way when i am coming LOL

86M10086.2L

MY buddy is hounding the heck out of me to do staright pipes on my M1008. He did that to his dads 3/4 ton civy 6.2 and said it was fine. I thgink not. Looking into flowmasters or the like but I will be llooking to avoid the dreaded interior droan as much as possible.

AJMBLAZER

Frankly I can't notice a difference between the interior sound of the stock mufflers and the Cherry Bombs. However the engine is so loud I never could hear the exhaust anyways.

I had the exhaust disconnected right before the mufflers, it sounded mean, but was awful in the cab.
I have Cherrybombs on my 1008. It's pretty quiet inside with windows up due to the engine like AJM said. But with the windows down it raps when you get on it. It's a little to quiet for my tastes.
I think it would sound pretty sweet straight-piped with an X or H-pipe (I have a straight X-pipe set-up on my Grand Marquis, it sounds amazing!)

Westech

CPL
I had a m1008 last year and I had flow master 40's on it and it was WAY TOO LOUD! I would stick with a good factory type of muffler. The 6.2 is just too loud to enjoy the drive. And if you think Im wrong go right ahead and do it. (former shop manager of 3 muffler shops)

AJMBLAZER

Cherry Bombs are arguably louder. It's mostly opinion. What some people find loud others find just right.

Then there's the crazy few who like race mufflers with tuned tips for that ultimate in "make your ears bleed at 150'" loudness.

Would an x-pipe help in throttle response with the 6.2? I guess an x-pipe could me mounted were stock mufflers are located with glasspacks or low profile mufflers further up stream (if you wanted mufflers). I've heard a 4.6 Mustang with an x-pipe installed and it sounded great (had mufflers). What muffler would be best for a deep mellow rumble sound? Does that Grand Marqui have a cat or just no mufflers?

Cucvnut

also would running dynamat on the floor help with sound ? i saw some one said that the hood insulation from LMC helps make it a lot quiter also ? What are good mufflers to help quite it down also ?

AJMBLAZER

Large, restrictive factory style mufflers. Sound insulation around the engine bay to absorb the clanking...ummm...that's about it.

Loco_Hosa

There are some fantastic ideas in this thread, but I love the adjustable cutouts. Its a Y with a flange on the end, with three wing nuts. You get block off plates, though I would order two or three. I would have one covered, then poke holes of different sizes in the other two. See what you like best :)

Otherwise I would say just decide on style of muffler and dont weld it up till your sure you like it. If you put a cherry bomb on and hate it, then you can rip it off and try a magnaflow tube (I have heard they are nice) or just about any other glass pack you like, and only risk the $20-100 for the cost of the muffler, and prolly sell it for half of purcase price on CL. All in all, one of the more important mods, done in an in-expensive way. Dont settle till you love it!