• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 takes 3-5 tries to start when NOT started in 1-3 weeks.

SFC Deal

Hi All, I'm new here. I have an 85 M1009 that doesn't want to start when left setting for 1-3 weeks. I have to cycle the key 3-5 time before it does start. I am waiting on the wait light to go off, But the truck just wines over & over without starting. Any thoughts on what could be wrong?

lavarok

You have a leak somewhere in the fuel system. As warthog pointed out, the fuel filter base is prone to leaking. There are other spots to check as well, so follow the fuel line from the tank to the front and look for wetness. The fuel pumps are prone to problems and will leak over time. Cracked rubber lines or rusted metal lines can also leak.

Sometimes it helps to mildly pressurize the fuel tank as the fuel pump works under suction and a leak between the tank and pump may not be easily seen. Only use a few lbs of air...do not over pressurize and blow up your tank.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can fix it but most guys just go with a Spinon filter setup. I know of only one vendor selling a new switch. You can also replace it with a freeze plug. The switch is behind the filter on the mounting base.

search the site for instructions.

Last edited:

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The GPs can last for years or just a few minutes.

The TM 9-2320-289-20 technical manual has a great step by step procedure to check the system. Section 2, paragraph 19, page 2-64.

You have downloaded the FREE technical manuals haven't you? If not the Tech Manual link at the top of the page will take you to them.

Do you have a multimeter and know how to use it? This is the one tool that everyone has to have to troubleshoot the CUCV eletrical system.

Tell us a little bit about yourself. Skill set? Mechanical ability? Military service? etc. Makes our job of helping you a little easier.

Last edited:

SFC Deal

I am retired Army. I was full time Infantry for 8 years, & 19 years Ga. Army National Guard 19K, M1A1 Tanker. In 2005 we went to Iraq & had our Tanks Taken away & give Hummers. I was wounded twice & sent to Walter Reed. I was a Gunner & then TC so I road in em & did fix em. So, I have VERY little to NO electrical maint. knowledge.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
THANK YOU for your service!!!

You do not need a masters degree in electronics to work on the truck (unlike todays cars.... ;-)). All you need is a basic understanding of how to check voltage, take resistance readings (ohms) and learn to follow the lines on wiring diagrams. Youtube has some great videos on the first two. We will help you with diagrams. You can pickup a $10 meter at Walmart to start with.

Start with the stickies in the CUCV forum. Watch the video on the GP Therory of Operation. Simple and straight forward.

Download the Tech Manuals and print off the first few pages of Chapter 2 - Troubleshooting Section. This will explain how to read the diagrams and what all the symbols are. And then review the wiring diagrams in the appendix.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The majority of the electrical problems with the CUCVs are dirty connections. Discconnect, clean, di-electric greas and reconnect usually fixes the issues.

Now back to your starting issue:

Check for wetness around the fuel filter. Also use a flashlight and look at the passengerr side of the injector pump for wetness. And in the vally of the engine under the intake manifold. We are looking for signs of a fuel leak.

SFC Deal

I also forgot something. When I do get it started, It is sluggish & has VERY little take off power. But, when I get it to normal driving speed it works just fine. If I stop somewhere, turn it off, then get back in, it starts up just fine. But, It still has the sluggish take off power. Any thoughts?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks