• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 tow bar and speed

cucvblazer85

I would like to use my M1009 as a chaser vehicle to deliver another truck. I have never used a tow bar on my M1009, however I have read as many posts as I could to have as many pointer's as possible...drive shaft, transfer case, transmission, etc.
I would like to know two things.
How fast can I go while pulling my M1009 with a tow bar behind a 3500 Dodge 4x4 Cummins.

What is all the talk about a safety chain. Would this be a chain to go from the tow vehicle to the axle of the M1009 in case of tow bar "malfunction"???

Thanks

jimm1009

M1009 in tow

I have towed my M1009 at 70 MPH with a 3/4 ton truck with a lot of weight in it for several thousands of miles.
Transmission and tranfer case are not important since the rear end of the rear driveshaft will be disconnected and tied up. Make sure front hubs are unlocked too. Ignition switch in the unlocked postion but not on.
I wrap a chain from the trailer hitch of the towing vehicle around the tow bar to the front spring shackle going through the shackle straight over to the other front sackle and wrapping the chain around the tow bar and up to the other hook on the towing vehicle.
You can always take up some of the slack by using duct tape.
I would duct tape the hooks in place to ensure they do not come loose.
That and lights on the rear and you are good to go.
If you are towing 50 miles or less you can actually not disconnect the rear drive shaft accoring to Chevy but it is so easy to do it worth it to avoid any additionall wear that way.
Good luck.
Jim

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think you'll be more than okay with your 3500, although not sure if you should get up to 70. I towed my M1009, white knuckled, from Columbus to Detroit behind my 07 Grand Cherokee at up to 60 MPH. Had no issues what so ever but probably wouldn't do it again.

Sephirothq

when i towed mine i did basically the same thing. disconnect the rear driveshaft, and unlock the front hubs, the drive train (transfer and trans) never move. i have a set of magnetic towing lights that i use for the brake and turn. I use two chains for safety around the front axle of the M1009 to the safety chain place on the tow vehicle. Make sure to cross your chains.

cucvblazer85

When you say a lot of weight in it, are you talking about in the bed of the pick-up so your back end stays down around corners and such? How much weight are you talking?

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I towed a M1008 with my Dodge 2500 about 400miles with my towbar a couple of weeks ago.

Disconnect the rear drive shaft, throw on some lights, unlock the steering, slow down for turns, slow and stop early, you'll be fine. I've towed my Dodge D150 about 500miles doing the same thing, I made brackets for the towbar to pin to, unhooked the driveshaft, and away I went.

I do a lot of flat towing. Nothing to it.

Just don't tow a m37 behind a deuce with only the inner duels on, and then try to take an onramp curve at speed- The driver rears will come off the ground!! Ask me (or Brandon, or the wife) How I know... :roll:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would say self fabricated if you are a fabricator. Other than that you get a mass produced bar (cheap at walmart), a damn expensive folding tlelscopic bar the motorcoach folks use or the military bar. i still find that the military bar pays for the investment on the very first tow even as expensive as they are! Most of the store bought bars are rated at 5000#. Could move a CUCV with it but you are over the rating. Must be dozens of threads on this very topic.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hate to say it, either events like Aberdeen, the classifieds here or Ebay. IIRC Militaryrestoration had several for sale. Prices can range wildly but I'd say $350 is the norm now. I bought one around 1999 or 2000 and paid $200 + $125 to ship it from Peoria IL to West Palm Beach FL. There are a few stocking dealers but I'd be willing to wager the price would be $500+. Eastern is one that has them. M35 For Sale. M818, M811, M939, 10 Ton, 5 Ton, Deuces for Sale Turbo Diesel, Army Trucks, Logging, Heavy Trucks, Off-Road Big Trucks, Four Wheel Drive

airmech3839

I found a cheap civy towbar at Harbor Freight!! I know you get what you pay for! I am going in am to see it in person! It says it is rated to 5k and is only $59. I have started fabricating my adapters out of 2" reciever tubing, anyone have a minimum length those need to be so I wont have any interference. I am guessing by the pics someone had posted on a previous thread. http://www.steelsoldiers.com/cucv/24660-civy-tow-bars.html

I just want to be sure sense I do not have a truck to go by yet. Also if anyone would be kind enough to explain to this green MV enthusiest a fool proof way to insure that the front hubs are unlocked. I have no experince with manual hubs, all I have owned have been auto locking! Thanks so much for all the help! This site is awesome and so are the people!!

Fly it like you stole it!!!!:-D:grd:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Easy way to confirm the hubs. Park truck on level ground. With engine not running, put the tranny in neutral and unlock the hubs. You can rock the truck back and forth and look under the front end to see if the axle joints are moving. I do this whenever I lock or unlock the hubs.

airmech3839

Awesome!!! Thank you!! I knew it would be something easy!! I fix million dollar jets but sometimes feel stupid about cars........does that make sense!!???!! Oh well I enjoy fixing things and can't wait to get my hands on our M1009 as soon as our paperwork comes in!!

The beatings will continue until morale improves!!

airmech3839

I have one more quick question! What size are the shackle bolts/pins? Are they 1" or smaller? need to know for my adapter for towbar. Want to make sure I have right size bolt when I am 800 miles from home!!!

Remember if the enemy is in range so are you!!

Murphy.....

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks