• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 trailer: M416 OR M101XX

edpdx

I have been looking around to get a trailer and I am getting mixed signals on what would be easier to pull and back-up. I thought the M416 was the better match; but was recently told that the M101A2 was easier to "see over".

I don't want to pull around loads of gravel or anything, just a 90 Lb tent and maybe some starter logs for a fire.

I have heard that a M1009 is not a rig for towing, should I give up the idea of pulling any kind of trailer?

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This has been gone over many MANY times before. The search function is your friend.

The short answer to your question is M416 for your M1009.

edpdx

maddawg308, I know, I know; but you never know when someone might just say, "I like you, **** you can come over to my house and take my trailer" :D.

midcounty

Have pulled my 101 with one of my M1009s, but with only a few hundred pounds of lumber in it. I don't trust the bumper mounted hitch to pull much, or take the shock of a heavier trailer.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
A heavy load on a 101 will make you slow getting going and uphills. It's probably pretty rough on the transmission in stop and go and uphill also. Once going the next problem is stopping especially with a load on and on wet roads. Officially the trailer of record is the M416 per TM.

K9Vic

Good luck on finding a M416 cheap. The M 101s are selling on GL for dieceint prices now.
Very true, it took me about a year to find a M416 trailer for a fair price and it was butchered with a ball hitch, non-M416 lights/hookup and a hole in the rear. I am now trying to slowly get the lunette for it, but they are expensive when you do find them.

I had a M101A2 and it really is a big trailer for a M1009, even looks big being the pickup. I bought it from GL for a great price and sold it for a nice profit.

Last edited:

Pawnshop

I have both, I pull both with my M1009, I like both of them for different reasons:

Which one is easier to load and un load? The M101A2.
Which one is SAFER with a full load? The M416.
Which one can full grown adults sleep in? The M101A2.
Which one will haul a 4x8 sheet of plywood flat? Neither one.
Which one is easier to back up? The M101A2
Which one is easier to pay for? The M101A2
Which one will slow you down on hills even when empty? The M101A2
Which one do YOU need? BOTH!

If you buy a M101 be SURE it has surge brakes (M101A2 or M101A3), a load in a M101A1 (without surge brakes and with M37 split wheels with tubes and flaps) is too much for the M1009. As others have stated over and over... 0-55mph is one thing, 55-0mph is the MOST important! BE SURE YOU CAN STOP!!!

Attachments

K9Vic

Pawnshop,

At first when I saw your posted pictures I though this was you I saw back in May 2010 in North Richland Hills for the big swap meet at TMS. I then looked at my cell phone picture and see it is not the same truck. I was in a M1008 at the time and was just out for a drive. Do you know who this is? He did mention the MVPA.org group and had to run because he was picking up a M1031 from the swap meet.

Attachments

2deuce

I say get the M101a2. The hitch on my M1009 has pulled a car trailer with a m1008 on board. The problem wasn't with the hitch but the towing ability of the blazer especially the brakes. I think you can overload a M101 but if its a a2 with the surge brakes working well you should be fine. Stay away from snow and ice. I just towed a m102a2 with a 6v53 detroit in it behind my m1009. I'm driving carefully so I don't have to slam on the brakes. Whatever you want to pull always drive defensively and the M1009 will get it done eventually. When I load my trailers I put a good amount of weight on the hitch so the rear axle of my tow vehicle always has good traction but most of the weight over the trailer axle. Some squat on the M1009 is good. I like the way my M1009 pulls a M101a2.2cents

edpdx

Thanks all for the tips on what to get. I'd like both; but the old lady will have a fit if I show up with two. I am starting my quest for M101A2. ;)

Pawnshop

Good choice! I like mine. Like the man said, load it thoughtfully and drive safely and you will be fine.

I think the Army decided to limit M1009 towing to a M416 so they did not have to explain the difference between a M101 and a M101A2. If you overload a M101 with no brakes you WILL crash a M1009. Kids and Soldiers will overload and run, with no regard to safety and will get in trouble quick with a M101. Also, most of the M101A2 I have seen are marked M101 so reading data plates to figure out if you have the right trailer is pointless...

Barrman

You claiming a "full size adult" can sleep in a 101 cracks me up. Sorry.

Actually, Colton and I had two military cots set up inside my 101 last weekend at the TX Rally. All our gear had to stay on the tail gate, but we both slept comfortably inside. I will be staying in the 101 the next two weekends solo with Scout camp outs. Perfect amount of room.

Probably going to drag it behind the M715 to Temple this year too. Lots easier than horsing the Duece around tight areas.

The 101A2 is a great trailer behind the M1009. However, as pointed out. You have to drive careful and aware at all times. The trailer can also be used behind just about any MV or civilian truck. Very versital and useful for any purpose in life.

The 416 on the other hand would be my choice to haul extra stuff when going to a deer hunt, family beach trip or a week in the mountains. It doesn't slow down the truck, can be moved around by hand and allows stuff to come along that couldn't if the family is taking a trip. Plus, you can put an outboard motor on it and take it fishing.

Wagner

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I recently got a 101a2 from the GL to pull with my M1009. It traveled fine behind the M1009 for over 200 miles and handled well in traffic and on hilly terrain as well. I have also pulled the a2 with a load in off road conditions with the M1009 and the combination performed well together. The a2's hitch and light connections worked perfectly from the get go with the M1009's military setup with no modifications what so ever.

As was pointed out in an earlier post the a2's have surge brakes which is helpful and they also have parking brakes and the bed can be dumped without being unhitched. I am very pleased with my setup.