• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 trailer question

Scottsman

Hello all, i am a newbie here so forgive if this is an old topic somewhere. I just purchased my first m1009 CUCV. I am interested in setting her up with a trailer and would like to know what your recommendations are. Have looked at the m416 which seems a bit small. The m101 looks better but concerned about the weight. Recommendations please. Thank you.

Midnight Rider

If you search, I believe you'll find the answer to your question. I think it has been debated several times over. I think the TM's recommend the smaller trailer as the only approved one. I believe that there are some members that are using the heavier trailer with their 1009's though.

citizensoldier

If I remember right the pintle hitch on a M1009 is only rated for 1200lbs.. With that said, I pull M101A1's and M101A2's all the time with mine and have no problems. They are 1280lbs empty. It might struggle a bit because of high gears and loaded heavy up a hill but seems to do just fine. You just must be mindful of the short wheel base on them so plan your stops accordingly.

abarkus

I use my M1009 to tow my 101A1 all the time I did change the truck so but not until after 2 years of use. The trailer was loaded up to 1 Ton and had no problem.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I agree with Lane and ABARKUS...the 3/4 ton trailer will work just fine. I have actually towed an M105 with a Blazer on level highways, but the truck does not really like this weight and the trailer really slants forward. The M416 is really the only trailer that the military deemed safe for the M1009. I would recommend the M416, but I know guys (including the two mentioned above) have towed 3/4 ton trailers without a problem.

citizensoldier

To add to that.. I prefer using my M1009 and M101 when gathering fire wood.. The short wheelbase and 4 low are allot easier to get back in the woods on goat trails and two tracks. The little blazer has all the grunt she needs pulling it out of the brush loaded 4' high. But you know I cant find one picture of it hooked up??? :wink:

Scottsman

If I remember right the pintle hitch on a M1009 is only rated for 1200lbs.. With that said, I pull M101A1's and M101A2's all the time with mine and have no problems. They are 1280lbs empty. It might struggle a bit because of high gears and loaded heavy up a hill but seems to do just fine. You just must be mindful of the short wheel base on them so plan your stops accordingly.
Thank you for the advice. Next question is the difference between the M101A1 and the M101A2?

citizensoldier

M101 and M101A1 have the 5 lug axle that matches the M37 using the 16" bud rim.. M101A2 has a 8 bolt axle matching the M1008 with a 16" one piece rim and a serge brake unit to help stop. I have found upgraded A1's with the old style box and I also have seen newer ones that are re-enforced on the sides and a galvanized box. There is a A3 version too it is the same box but a wider drop style axle to give it the same stance as a HUMMV. Confused yet???:D:shock:

Scottsman

M101 and M101A1 have the 5 lug axle that matches the M37 using the 16" bud rim.. M101A2 has a 8 bolt axle matching the M1008 with a 16" one piece rim and a serge brake unit to help stop. I have found upgraded A1's with the old style box and I also have seen newer ones that are re-enforced on the sides and a galvanized box. There is a A3 version too it is the same box but a wider drop style axle to give it the same stance as a HUMMV. Confused yet???:D:shock:
Do you have a recommendation or preference using the M1009? Most of the hauling I will be doing is fire wood and soil/gravel . By the way, how easy is it to finds parts , particularly engine parts, for the M1009 when the need arrises? scottsman

Barrman

I prefer the 101A2 or 101A3 because of the easy to find 8 lug rims and surge brakes. They also have 12V bulbs already. If you are looking, try to find one with the rear stabilizer leg. Makes it a lot easier to load up without being hooked to a truck or to leave loaded so you can use the vehicle for other things.

citizensoldier

Do you have a recommendation or preference using the M1009? Most of the hauling I will be doing is fire wood and soil/gravel . By the way, how easy is it to finds parts , particularly engine parts, for the M1009 when the need arrises? scottsman
Hmmm. Well some might disagree with me but I prefer the M101A1 with the eye flipped for hauling wood. Better spring pack and more ground clearance. The serge brakes can be a pain when loaded.. The military style serge brakes have no release so if you have to back up and your pushing a load the brakes fight you. Also they can jerk you around and get the little blazer rocking sideways. Some of the 1980's style M101A2's have smaller channel used for the frame and are little lighter load capacity so it helps the blazer. I opened the bleeders on one A2 and bolted the swing arms together so no serge brakes for the above mentioned reasons.
Parts are all over the place for both styles especially on here or ebay.You should be able to pick up a A1 for cheaper than a A2 also. Another good thing about the old 16 inch bud rim is you can do your own tire work and the sidwall on a NDT will take allot more abuse than most radials. This is just my opinion not the word of the ODD gods.. BUT I did not get the name Trailer Ho for nothing..[thumbzup]
Oh and not all A2's have 12 volt bulbs.. In fact most dont because they pulled them with HUMMV's. But all you have to do is replace the bulbs.. Very simple to do.

abarkus

I have the M101A1 and just change the bulb to 12 volt and I haul 1 ton of gravel with it. If you want to look at setup, i live by pgh airport.:beer:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
All has been pretty well discussed but I'd like to point out two differences between the M101A3 and the M101A2 (and others). Not only do these trailers come with HMMWV rolling stock, they have a larger frame which means higher capacity. Also as far as the cargo box, the 101A3 is unique in the fact that the entire fenderwell has been moved outwards 5". What this does is increase the space between the inner fender wells from 45" to 55". That 45" has always been a thorn in my side and now with the 101A3, I can haul sheets of plywood flat on the deck. My golfcart will fit now too!

citizensoldier

All has been pretty well discussed but I'd like to point out two differences between the M101A3 and the M101A2 (and others). Not only do these trailers come with HMMWV rolling stock, they have a larger frame which means higher capacity. Also as far as the cargo box, the 101A3 is unique in the fact that the entire fenderwell has been moved outwards 5". What this does is increase the space between the inner fender wells from 45" to 55". That 45" has always been a thorn in my side and now with the 101A3, I can haul sheets of plywood flat on the deck. My golfcart will fit now too!

Man Kenny! Now I want a A3! That narrow fender well thing bugs me too.. They did extend the A2 so you can close the tailgate with 8' stock and you cant on a A1.. Just another difference.

acmunro

By the way, how easy is it to finds parts , particularly engine parts, for the M1009 when the need arrises? scottsman
I am in western PA also. If you end up needing-wanting a spare tire for the 5 bolt M101 or M101A1 I have some extra's. As far as the engine parts for the 6.2 everything on the engine is the same as the "J" code engines in the heavier civilian 3/4 Ton and 1 ton trucks of the same era. The only exceptions are the v-belts (pass side alt belt should be same though) alternators and starter. Also the original glowplugs have a different size connector but AC 60G plugs work good just need to either grind down the connectors or replace the connectors on the M1009 with 1/4" spade connectors. I have a bunch of parts for both the M1009 and the trailers if you ever need.