• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m1009 tranny issue

dkidtruck

so im new to this website and i love every thing i see. and i have bin wanting to buy a m1009. and i finely found one that's in my budget but the only issue is tranny won't shift into to third gear. from what i'v read on here im thinking a vacuum line or pump. but i wanted to get some ideas of what could be wrong or should i stay away from this one and find somthing better?

thanks

gungearz

Welcome to the site.... Get very familiar with the TM's and always use the search engine before you ask a question. May your skin be covered in CARC and diesel thru your veins as the OD addiction begins. I'd take it to a tranny shop and have it checked out. It is just a turbo 400. Cheap to rebuild.

K9Vic

If it shift from 1-2, it is likely not a vacuum line as the 1-2 is working. You can still check the lines and make sure everything is hooked up, but likely the trans is the issue. It woud probably cost about$700-$100 for a rebuild TH400 and if the truck is priced low it would be worth getting it.

Oh and welcome, there is allot of knowledge here and you can learn everything here about these trucks and is better than any book you will read.

Goatwerks

Classic direct clutch or valve body issue. Pull the pan, inspect the debris.
With no vacuum a th400 will have hard delayed shifts(higher shift points).
Muddy oil is a bad sign..................

MuleMac01

Military vehicle collector
Steel Soldiers Supporter
vac valve on the side of the IP... Vac mod on the side of the tranny and a bad Vac pump on top of the bell housing.. and also replace all rubber vacuum lines.. can all cause deleayed shifting.. Have you tryed shifting it to 3rd at speeds higher then 30MPH?..

try the cheep way befor droping $1000 or more on a rebuild

Last edited:

dkidtruck

alright cool thank you. im gonna buy it and hope for some good luck. i know its gonna be a fun truck. just needs some tlc. thanks for the replys!
and yes i did try shifting at 35 plus.