• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m1009 transfer case shifting difficulty

elfraz

I have a hard time getting my transfer case out of 4 low. It take some time messing with the transfer case selecter and will grind a bit as it changes into 4 high. Is this common? I use 4 low infrequently and I don't want to get stuck some where and not be able to get into 4 hi or 2 wheel drive.

91W350

If it gets bound up, generally it is because the drive train has a load on it. Turning while in four wheel drive or having a taller tire or under inflated tire on a surface that gives good traction can really preload the drive line. If you find it difficult to shift, rolling backwards while steering left and right will frequently allow the load to drop off. I generally just keep light pressure on the shifter. Remember that it will be powered up in reverse and you want to shift the transmission to neutral and let it spool down. I usually just shut the truck off when it pops out of low side. Glen

dstang97

All 3 of my trucks do this I think its because they are not Syncronized. I shut of the truck then shift out of 4lo. then start it back up. Its annoying but its easier on the drivetrain.

MuleMac01

Military vehicle collector
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If it gets bound up, generally it is because the drive train has a load on it. Turning while in four wheel drive or having a taller tire or under inflated tire on a surface that gives good traction can really preload the drive line. If you find it difficult to shift, rolling backwards while steering left and right will frequently allow the load to drop off. I generally just keep light pressure on the shifter. Remember that it will be powered up in reverse and you want to shift the transmission to neutral and let it spool down. I usually just shut the truck off when it pops out of low side. Glen

i shut it off also when coming out of 4L:ditto::ditto:gos in fine but doest come out fine lol

dilvoy

Sometimes a simple thing like the clear plastic indicator that slides in the black plastic decorative housing that surrounds the shifter can bind and make it unbelievebly difficult to work the shifter. It's worth unscrewing it and seeing what happens.