• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 Transformation

special-ops-s2k

Hello all! Its been a LONG time since I posted on this site but in the recent months I have made some major changes to my good ol' M1009 and I thought those of you on here would appreciate seeing it.

To recap about 6 years ago I was seeking advice on here about my M1009 and what path I should take with it since the 6.2L had spun a bearing and I was interested in trying to Cummins swap it. At the time I picked up a 4BT and started looking for parts needed for the swap, but things got in the way and I ended up putting a 6.2 back into it and driving it as is for quite some time. Recently my ever growing pile of parts I had accumulated finally got to me and I started the process of the conversion to Cummins power. I have some great people helping me realize this transformation and it is really coming together!

We will start the way the truck sat at the beginning of this year...
IMG_1064.jpg
IMG_1065.jpg

Next some of the parts gathered over the past few years...
IMG_1068.jpg
Cummins adapter plate after I cleaned it up and painted it

IMG_1067.jpg
Moonshine Mafia Motorsports rebuilt me a GM NP205

IMG_1070.jpg
New Holset HX30W

IMG_1074.jpg
Rebuilt GM NV4500 with Dodge input shaft and running Dodge bell housing

IMG_1073.jpg
And the power plant, Cummins 4BT 130hp stock motor from a delivery van

As you can see I had accumulated most of what I would need to do the conversion but needed to take the leap and go for it! Thats what we did, the motor was pulled and the process began...

IMG_2547.jpg
IMG_2549.jpg

Upon going through the motor they found that the head was cracked and so a new head was ordered and upgraded valve springs were installed upon receiving it. All gaskets and seals were replaced and the entire motor top to bottom was gone through thoroughly. The transmission and t-case were mated and everything was mocked up...

FullSizeRender_1.jpg

After everything was mocked into the frame and motor mounts were fabricated it was all pulled back apart and painted/assembled.

IMG_4273.jpg
IMG_4275.jpg

While this was going on the frame was cleaned and prepped for paint. A 4" ORD suspension lift was installed as well as 1" body lift blocks. All bushings and mounts/rubber were removed and replaced with new or upgraded. New shocks all around and drop pitman arm/steering correction was done at this point as well... Then the motor and transmission were mated up with a SouthBend clutch and pressure plate and installed into the frame...

IMG_4310.jpg
IMG_4308.jpg
IMG_4276.jpg

Full 4" turbo back exhaust was fab'd and installed then the body was lowered onto the frame for a test fit.

IMG_4277.jpg
IMG_4278.jpg

That Cummins sure looks GOOD under in there! I've been planning this TOO LONG!

Thanks for reading this far, this almost brings you up to date as the project sits right now... we are tackling the next step getting the radiator/intercooler setup ready to install. The core support was cut and reworked by the best fabricator I know. A new 2nd Gen Dodge FMIC was cut and shortened slightly and then frenched into the core support. Then it was modified to also mount the new CBR custom aluminum radiator.

IMG_4049.jpg
IMG_4050.jpg
IMG_4811.jpg

Photo Limit reached for this post more below!

special-ops-s2k

IMG_4812.jpg
IMG_4810.jpg

Mocked up the intercooler into the core first... then added the CBR radiator/spa fans

IMG_4809.jpg
CORE_20160606_142701422.jpg
CORE_20160607_121040765.jpg
CORE_20160606_142740198.jpg
CORE_20160607_121114733.jpg
CORE_20160607_121543897.jpg
CORE_20160607_121537816.jpg

Other parts being fab'd are a custom dual battery tray that moves the batteries to the driver side front engine compartment and an oversized air filter box. Photos of those will be posted once they are completed. Parts keep arriving daily, recently took delivery of new tires 35x12.5x15s that are being mounted on the stock steel wheels after they are sandblasted and repainted.

IMG_4728.jpg

I also won't be running the stock fiberglass top, but a softtopper brand soft top came in a few weeks back and will be installed in its place. Since I won't need the stock tailgate with the window I removed it and sourced a slightly rusty stock Chevy tailgate... that went to my metal work friend for some love...

IMG_2569.jpg
IMG_2572.jpg
IMG_2573.jpg
IMG_2595.jpg

Rust was worse than I thought but my friend went to working his magic. The inside was POR15'd while it was open... then the rot was cut away and replaced.

IMG_2596.jpg
IMG_2599.jpg
IMG_2600.jpg
IMG_2627.jpg
IMG_2628.jpg

The next day I went in and picked up this:

IMG_2634.jpg

Last edited:

special-ops-s2k

Had the stock wheels sandblasted clean since they were rusted pretty good.
image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Then time for primer and paint
image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Painted them with modern CARC 383 Green
image.jpgimage.jpg

Then had the 35's mounted!
image.jpg

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Last edited:

ODFever

Madness Takes Its Toll...
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks great! Did you order the Kevlar clutch from South Bend? I bought one for my 2004 Ram 3500 Dually. I LOVE IT!!!! It is so silky smooth. It took me a couple hundred miles to get the feel for it after my transmission rebuild and clutch installation. :)