• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 Transmision downshift switch

AECS

I need a downshift switch, TM's list part number as 1242101, it is not listed at any of the local big parts stores, (oriely, autozone, napa) does anyone have a source for this part? I need it in the next day or two so the ones I found with google are not going to make it in time...

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do you have any salvage yards in your area? Just about any '70s-'80's GM car or truck with a TH400 will have one.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is no shortage of them on Ebay.

Google the part number and GM and switch.

AECS

E Bay is my last choice as in 9 days I start my move from CA to TN, I am going to try the wrecking yard, it is 45 miles each way to it, but don't have much choice. Having the transmission kick down properly is going to be a necessity in the 09 towing a car across the mountains...

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If all else fails you could put in a manual switch. When flooring it flip the switch on. Partial throttle turn it off.

I do have a couple of parts trucks. I could send you one. It could go out Friday.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Have you tested your switch with a meter? Are you sure it is bad(your problem)?

AECS

Thanks for the offer warthog, but I got it solved. I know that the switch was the problem, it was physically broken, and the electrical part was missing, the wire wound back up into the loom and out of the way. It must have been that way for the past year that I have owned it, cause I didn't do that. I have never really floored it, cause it isn't speed demon so never knew it was broken.

I was working on my uncles 1008 and noticed the switch and thought, "mine is not like that" I just never realized it didn't downshift cause I never asked it to...

Well it was a 35 mile drive to the wrecking yard, but I got one, as well as a IP return check valve for a total of 3.50, with the 2 buck entry fee, I am out 5 and a half bucks... easy day.

I did install it and tested it, it works!!! But at 60 on the freeway when I floored it and it dropped into second, that 6.2 was scream'in for mercy! I am sure that it will be a help pulling 3k pound trailer up the hill though!

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks