• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 Transmission Problem

Wagner

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My 1009 is leaking lots of transmission fluid from the front seal and a mechanic is saying the fluid is blowing out the dipstick tube. Has anyone had a similar issue and what was the cause? Did the fix require a complete rebuild of the TH 400.

Few things come to mind and I won't mention the first one since I'm sure you and your mechanic have checked the fluid level. Has anyone checked the vent tube on top of the tranny to make sure it's not plugged? A front pump going out may also cause the problem but I'd check the vent.

cliffyp

Is it coming all the way up the tube and out the top, or is it leaking where the dipstick tube goes into the transmission?

Other than the leak, is the transmission functioning properly?

Wagner

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Few things come to mind and I won't mention the first one since I'm sure you and your mechanic have checked the fluid level. Has anyone checked the vent tube on top of the tranny to make sure it's not plugged? A front pump going out may also cause the problem but I'd check the vent.[/QUOTE

The mechanic checked an opening near the bottom of the vent tube by inserting thin red spray nosal in it and it appeared to be clear. Not sure about a vent on top of the transmission....is it accessible w/o dropping the transmission?

Wagner

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is it coming all the way up the tube and out the top, or is it leaking where the dipstick tube goes into the transmission?

Other than the leak, is the transmission functioning properly?
The front seal is leaking and the transmission is slipping. The mechanic's theory was that the slipping was causing the fluid to boil from excessive heat and that there must be internal damage. On the road it seems to work fine although you have to rev it high to move forward or backward from a dead stop. The mechanic seemed to think the fluid was being pushed out the top of the tube.

cliffyp

"Has anyone had a similar issue and what was the cause? Did the fix require a complete rebuild of the TH 400."

Well if you've got slipping clutches, having to rev it just to get moving, and the trans is overheating so bad it boiling out the dip stick tube, I'd say you're going to need to do a rebuild. Even if you change the front pump seal, your just going to cook the new one in short order

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks