• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 turbo Facts

panzerwillie

Here we go , i had a a use banks kit but instead i sld i and when with the 6.5 turbo manifold amd a BOGWARNER turn with a 57mm wheel and a .68 exhaust housing similar to the stock 6.5 turbo., i use the 6.5 intake as well but modified since i was going to run a AIR TO WATER interooler, however the one i had after preassure testing had more leaks than the JAPANESE NAVY in WWII, so instead i put it together with out it for now even heatexchanger and pump water resevour are in place, here are some facts....
1- exhaust manifold of a 6.5 had o grind a few spots that would hit two injectors and also use 2 gaskets
View attachment 233914

View attachment 233915

View attachment 233916
2-I Knew the original cross over pipe from the 6.5 would not work beacuse the driver manifold in a 6.5 exist at the last cylender where in the 6.2 is bewteen the 2 rear cylender , i use it but had to cut and weld to fit for now will make new one with more clearance because it gets close to front drive shaft
3- Downpipe well since i was not using the stock 6.5 turbo can't said it would be a easier fit but i can asure a 3" downpipe would be tougth to fit at least on a M1009 so i made my 2.5 "and had to notch the frame
IMAG0260.jpg

IMAG0262.jpg

IMAG0263.jpg
will continue

panzerwillie

Here are the pictures missing from the earlier
IMAG0253.jpg

IMAG0254.jpg
4-to fit the cross over pipe you have to cut the lower bolt that holds the converter cover on the tranny not i bg deal done that many times with race cars
5-I made the return for the oil by adding a fitting to the backing plate of the fuel pump
6- Will turn the pump up today and will do the exhaust tomorrow

over all its a clean fit but takes more than one person and takes a good amout of time
IMAG0253.jpg

IMAG0254.jpg

IMAG0267.jpg

IMAG0231.jpg

IMAG0243.jpg

IMAG0258.jpg

IMAG0269.jpg

IMAG0270.jpg

IMAG0271.jpg

IMAG0272.jpg

atankersdad

In Memorial
In Memorial
This is a great job of documentation. Plenty of questions have been asked in the past and I think you answered most. Once again thanks for a very useful post...

panzerwillie

thank you hope this helps people that are thinking of doing the install, i drive my everyday so i miss it for the last few days because of the install well i think is cold enougth time to turn up the pump will post results later....

Novice1

Thank you for this post. What a fine job. The pictures are really appreciated.
I would be interested to know what the actual performance gain is. What would you expect w/inner cooler connected? Is it really worth the trouble?

Thanks

panzerwillie

Well is all set up for the intercooler and only because i'm doing air to water not air to air as you would need to run a lot of piping and make holes to go to and from intercooler, the gains are good intercool air temps will be down a lot , remenber i'm doing it because i can do all the labor my self ,maybe if it involve paying a shop, you could leave it out, the turbo kit it self is a great gain the truck feel like i can actualy pass somebody and its very torqie. asl far as cost will try to break it down the best i can
1-6.5 manifold $80.00
2-turbo $340 {trade it for work}
3-cross over pipe $59.00
4-6.5 intake $50.00
5-Down pipe $100.00
6-Vclamps and tbolt clamps $80.00
7-Oil feed line adaptors and return $100.00
8-miscelinius bolts and pipes adaptors $125.00
9-turbine sock and springs $80.00
10-Heat wrap $30.00
11-Exhaust gaskets $20.00
12-Diesek 3" muffler $49.00 {NAPA}
13- New CDR $45.00
14- Air filter and pipes $45.00
15-Exhauts ? {will know tomorrow}
I think i cover everything for a total of just over $1200 plus exhaust, i had a banks kit minus exhaust and some miscilenius parts and $1200 for it, seen some kits go foraround $800 in the same condition as mine was, but the banks mounts the turbo low up front and i like this set up better ,, however if i had a banks kit and another truck i would use it, over all very happy with results feels lite on the throttle on the high way will see tomorrow with exhaust how cool it sounds:D

panzerwillie

Well did the exhaust today 3" from down pipe all the way it souds good and you can hear the turbo nice, here are some pictures from the exhaust will paited black later today and did not get a chance to do the cross over pipe but here are some pictures of exhaust....
IMAG0275.jpg

IMAG0274.jpg

IMAG0273.jpg

67_C-30

Thank you for this post. What a fine job. The pictures are really appreciated.
I would be interested to know what the actual performance gain is. What would you expect w/inner cooler connected? Is it really worth the trouble?

Thanks

The performance difference is truly night and day with a turbo on these engines. In stock form the N/A 6.2 typically puts down around 100HP and around 250 ft lbs at the rear wheels. The same engine with with 6 psi boost and fuel turned up 1/4 turn is typically making 170 - 180 HP and 390 - 400 ft lbs at the rear wheels. 10 psi, better 6.5 injectors, and a 4911 IP will put down around 210 HP and 450 at the rear wheels. I have turbocharged 4 of these now, and they are truly a different animal. The wastegated 6.5 set up is better off idle has very little turbo lag , while the non wastegated Banks takes a little longer to get spooled up, but but makes more midrange to upper end power (as much as you can say "upper end power' on a 6.2/6.5 with a straight face-lol) power. Both set-ups are great, and both make these 6.2's run really good. I have gotten great service and tons of trouble free miles out of the ones I've done.

Preacherboy

I just put the 6.5 turbo set up on a rebuild J code 6.2 and the engine is going in my 1998 Suburban, I wish you would have asked...but the 6.5 injectors are a little bit shorter than 6.2's and that is how they clear the exhaust manifold. Instead of doing grinding you could have upgraded to the 6.5 injectors!

From what I've read though on other forums you should install a boost gage and not run your engine over 10 psi (one guy said no where over 7). I purchased a boost gauge, but it isn't installed yet, I also purchased a "turbo master" a mechanical boost control (instead of the crappy vacuum ran one).

panzerwillie

I new something was difrent, will know for the future however it was a small area i grinded, will be installing a boost gauge next few weeks thank you

panzerwillie

Should be a strait foward deal and the sidewinder is a great turbo, like what i did and being driving it for the last 2 days so far so good , good luck with your set up...

SO WE ARE GODS MINISTERS OF DEATH
AVENGERS WHO EXECUTE HIS WRATH
TO ALL WHO PRACTIVE EVIL

ROMANS 13:4

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks