• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009: What Glow Plugs do I buy - I've bypassed the resistor.

MuddWeiser

I've done a little reading here and I see there are several solutions or routes to take when dealing with the glow plug system in the CUCV. I went with the "bypass resistor" option.

2 years ago I remember bypassing the resistor(?) on the firewall behind the air cleaner when diagnosing/fixing my glow plug system. I simply ran a battery cable directly from the front battery (+) to the glow plug relay by the wiper motor. This has worked fine for 2 years, and my controller card still works.

Since the truck has been reliable as a daily driver I thought I might give it a tune-up, maybe new injectors and a rebuilt IP. BUT before I did that I figured I would do a compression test to make sure my investment was worthwhile.

I went to pull the Glow Plugs and they are swollen. I'm gonna get them out either by using a tool or breaking and extracting - BUT... I am wondering:

1.) Why are the "no swell plugs" swollen!

2.) For the "bypass resistor" method mentioned above, WHAT brand and model # glow plugs should I be using?

84cucv1ton

i have a push button for my plugs. i have had good luck with AC 60s. the 070s i think they are called. been told they dont swell. well have many that have.

Michael

I use AC60G with or without the bypass. I did manage to burn out a set of them but they didn't swell. I think my relay was sticking on.

ralbelt

I just took out the 070's , none swollen,and put in the AC 60G's. Resupplied the relay with 12V from the diamond shaped terminal just above it and replaced the relay with a ST85. WOW does it start fast [other than wait time]. Before crank time at best was 4-5 seconds now its barely 1 sec. I'm a happy camper:smile:
I did the Doghead relay Mod a year ago, no problems.

And remember boys and girls the first rule of owning a CUCV. If its rubber replace it if its electrical clean it.

Dielectric grease is your friend.

Last edited: