• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009: What Glow Plugs do I buy - I've bypassed the resistor.

MuddWeiser

I've done a little reading here and I see there are several solutions or routes to take when dealing with the glow plug system in the CUCV. I went with the "bypass resistor" option.

2 years ago I remember bypassing the resistor(?) on the firewall behind the air cleaner when diagnosing/fixing my glow plug system. I simply ran a battery cable directly from the front battery (+) to the glow plug relay by the wiper motor. This has worked fine for 2 years, and my controller card still works.

Since the truck has been reliable as a daily driver I thought I might give it a tune-up, maybe new injectors and a rebuilt IP. BUT before I did that I figured I would do a compression test to make sure my investment was worthwhile.

I went to pull the Glow Plugs and they are swollen. I'm gonna get them out either by using a tool or breaking and extracting - BUT... I am wondering:

1.) Why are the "no swell plugs" swollen!

2.) For the "bypass resistor" method mentioned above, WHAT brand and model # glow plugs should I be using?

84cucv1ton

i have a push button for my plugs. i have had good luck with AC 60s. the 070s i think they are called. been told they dont swell. well have many that have.

Michael

I use AC60G with or without the bypass. I did manage to burn out a set of them but they didn't swell. I think my relay was sticking on.

ralbelt

I just took out the 070's , none swollen,and put in the AC 60G's. Resupplied the relay with 12V from the diamond shaped terminal just above it and replaced the relay with a ST85. WOW does it start fast [other than wait time]. Before crank time at best was 4-5 seconds now its barely 1 sec. I'm a happy camper:smile:
I did the Doghead relay Mod a year ago, no problems.

And remember boys and girls the first rule of owning a CUCV. If its rubber replace it if its electrical clean it.

Dielectric grease is your friend.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks