• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 whines and will not turn over

Gabe92

My M1009 died when I put it into gear, this happens now and then when I don't let it warm up enough. When I went to start it again, I experienced a loud whining noise and nothing else. This continues to happen every time I try to start it.

I have pulled both batteries out and tested them. However they both have 12+ volts and plenty of CCA. I did notice the battery wires were hot when I went to pull them out.

The ground is good and I can't find any loose connections. I searched the form and Google, but couldn't find a similar problem. Do you guys have any suggestions? Thank you

Barrman

Check the connections on the firewall Buss bar. However, it reads like your starter might be the issue.

Also, you shouldn’t have to wait to drive the truck after cold start up. Something with your injection pump or injection pump timing or maybe idle speed isn’t correct.

WWRD99

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My M1009 died when I put it into gear, this happens now and then when I don't let it warm up enough. When I went to start it again, I experienced a loud whining noise and nothing else. This continues to happen every time I try to start it.

I have pulled both batteries out and tested them. However they both have 12+ volts and plenty of CCA. I did notice the battery wires were hot when I went to pull them out.

The ground is good and I can't find any loose connections. I searched the form and Google, but couldn't find a similar problem. Do you guys have any suggestions? Thank you
My guess is you have more than one problem. It should not shut off when it's cold...the IP has a cold up idle circuit that should work. I have one that works very well and 2 that don't. I never looked into why as they all run and stay running when first started. I'd like to point to a low volume fuel issue first for it stalling when cold. Could be the lift pump is weak, have clogged filter in the tank, clogged filter or a small air leak in the fuel line. The whining noise when turning over sounds like the starter bendix has gone out, or the flywheel is missing teeth or both or the flywheel is broken at the crank bolts. Taking out the starter is a chore as well as the torque converter cover. Taking off the cover should be the easier of the 2 and can see what it's doing when you hit the key. I'd start there as the fuel issue can't be checked unless it's running. One thing that can't be expressed enough about the starter is the front bracket mount to the block. You have to have that or you will break the bolts to the block and starter.

biscuitwhistler37

Either the flexplate is missing teeth or the starter gear is missing teeth, like stated above. Could be that the Bendix is not extending and the starter gear is turning in the disengaged position, either way it sounds like you're pulling a starter.

cucvrus

A little late here, Is the starter support firmly attached and are the starter bolts tight and correct M10 x 1.5 and not 3/8"
the 3/8" will fit and get tight but not hold under the stress of starting. Good Luck. If the flex plate is chewed turn the engine a bit and see if it engages.

cucvrus

As a rule I do NOT reuse flex plate bolts. I recall that at the GM garage we always replaced them when doing transmission removals and replacements. The new bolts have red lock tight coated threads. I drove 1 CUCV M1028A1 174k and never had anything apart on the driveline. I sold it 10 years ago to a member here and he restored it. I know it is off subject but useful information for learning. Good Luck Enjoy your Day.