• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 will not run creates suction at the fuel filter

dirtballgear

I have a M1009 that has been my daily driver for three years.yesterday it started having problems. It has a new 31 gallon fuel tank, a 4 sprout sending unit, a new mechanical fuel pump with Aeroquip lines and a spin on fuel filter. Today it starts and idles fine but dies under throttle. It creates suction at the spin on fuel filter and when the petcock is unscrewed it sucks air in. When the inlet line to the fuel filter is unscrewed the pump works fine. When the outlet line from the fuel filter housing to the IP is unscrewed it pumps fine. If I prime the fuel filter and screw it on it will run fine until under throttle then it dies and if I unscrew the spin on fuel filter it then is only half full. I do not understand what is causing the suction or making it act like something is clogged. Help please.

rsh4364

If the pump works fine with outlet line unhooked I would think all is good to that point,maybe check valve on return sticking? Really interesting problem.Hope someone with experience comments.Last summer my 1009 did something similar,I opened my fuel cap,whoosh ,sucked air into tank,then truck fired right up? I no longer tighten my fuel cap.

Last edited:

richingalveston

I have had new fuel pumps fail quickly. They pump fluid fine on an open circuit but will not push fluid with any back pressure. Remove the line going to the IP. turn the truck over with your finger over the hose. The pump should put enough pressure that it will spray fluid when restricted by your finger. IF you do not feel pressure at the end of the line then the pump is bad. when they go bad they can actually pump back to the fuel cell causing the vacuum you are experiencing.

Otherwise it sounds like the IP has gone south, The IP can produce the same Idle only situation when it decides to quit.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks