• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 Wiper Problems

brn24wheel

Hello,

I'm fairly new to the forum and have had my m1009 for about a year now. I'm starting to fix some minor issues with the blazer now that the weather is cooling down in Kansas. When I bought the blazer my turn signal lever was loose and I would have to hold the lever down or up to get the turn signal switch to make contact. After removing the steering wheel and taking apart the column it was just a loose screw for the turn signal lever. Also the wipers will only work on the high setting and the washer fluid does not spray. The turn signal lever is fine and not broken but I believe my wiper switch is bad and not engaging the low setting or sending power to the washer pump. Anybody know where I can get a wiper switch? Also has anybody had similar problems? I've tried eliminating the capacitors and plugging the harness directly into the wiper motor and there has been no change.

any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

cucvrus

Did you try another wiper motor? For about $50. you can buy a re-manufactured one that is warranted for life. As far as the wiper switch. Good luck with that. Let me know how you make out.

cpf240

If they are still in the circuit, try bypassing the filter capacitor tree that is inline with the connection to the wiper motor. The plug will go right into the pump. You don't need the filter capacitors in there in most cases, and if you are lucky, that is issue.

CUCVLOVER

Did you try another wiper motor? For about $50. you can buy a re-manufactured one that is warranted for life. As far as the wiper switch. Good luck with that. Let me know how you make out.
Ditto to this.
http://m.autozone.com/electrical-an...-mfi-diesel-ohv/107961_402979_18447?location=

They are great because they have the warranty if it dies they replace it for free no question asked.

I recently had to do some work to my wipers. Changed the motor, wired them to a toggle (column switch was about dead) and also a good thing to do it remove the cowl and grease the linkages. I sprayed mine down with pb blaster and worked them then oiled the joints. Moves smooth as silk now.

brn24wheel

I did eliminate the capacitors and plugged the harness directly into the motor and nothing changed. The guy I bought it from said the wiper motor was new and that it he never could get the washer fluid to spray so I'm suspecting the wiper switch is bad. The switch doesn't feel like it engages when you roll the lever forward to activate the sprayers. I haven't checked power at the washer pump but I also don't hear the washer pump trying to turn on when the lever is rolled forward. Also there is no positive click in the lever on the low position, only on the high position so that tells me the switch is bad. From everything I can find these switches in the column were only used in cucv vehicles and not civilian trucks. Just curious if anyone has had the same problem and where to find a switch.

cucvrus

That is the same switch for the wiper that all GM trucks had in 1984/85/86/87. Nothing is special about a CUCV wiper switch. Very little is special on the truck period except the bolt/rivet on items and the 24 volt. Other then that they were built on the same line a civilian trucks at the same time. As far as the wiper motor goes I would try a new one. I had a Man here yesterday with an M1010 and he said the washer do not work. I don't recall feeling or hearing any engagement of the switch for wash cycle. But if you remove the cover on the wiper motor and check the wheel while the wipers are on. It should be turning. On the top of the wheel is an electric magnet/coil. Manually engage the wash cycle by pulling up on the metal lever that is attached. The washers should cycle 1 time and stop. You must have fluid of course and the wipers must be on. But I am guessing you need a wiper motor. I sure hope not a switch.

CUCVLOVER what did you end upo doing. Do you still have a toggle switch or did you get it all figured out and have the wipers working as designed?

fitz

The wiper switch is a big job, at least for me it was. I spent half a day fighting with it before I gave up.
I pulled a used column from a parts truck and installed it in my M1028. Changing columns was a 2 hour job taking my time.

CUCVLOVER

That is the same switch for the wiper that all GM trucks had in 1984/85/86/87. Nothing is special about a CUCV wiper switch. Very little is special on the truck period except the bolt/rivet on items and the 24 volt. Other then that they were built on the same line a civilian trucks at the same time. As far as the wiper motor goes I would try a new one. I had a Man here yesterday with an M1010 and he said the washer do not work. I don't recall feeling or hearing any engagement of the switch for wash cycle. But if you remove the cover on the wiper motor and check the wheel while the wipers are on. It should be turning. On the top of the wheel is an electric magnet/coil. Manually engage the wash cycle by pulling up on the metal lever that is attached. The washers should cycle 1 time and stop. You must have fluid of course and the wipers must be on. But I am guessing you need a wiper motor. I sure hope not a switch.

CUCVLOVER what did you end upo doing. Do you still have a toggle switch or did you get it all figured out and have the wipers working as designed?
Currently it's still on a 3 way toggle for high and low. I have not had time to try plugging it back the other way, been working and stuff, plus I figured it's finally working so don't make it mad lol

brn24wheel

I'm in Texas for the weekend so I'll check out the pump like you said when I get back home. Are the wipers and washers on the same circuit? I wonder if it's just simply a fuse for the washers and maybe the linkage is bound up and not able to rotate on the low setting. On the high setting the wipers are pretty slow, even when I bypassed the capacitors.

Thanks for for all your help guys, I'll let you know what I find when I get back.

cucvrus

I am thinking wiper motor. At this point it is $50. and about 10 minutes to change. It may take a few hours if you remove the cowl screen and the wiper transmission clean and grease all the linkage. But the time is well spent. I do it on every CUCV and it shows and they all need it if it has not been done. Oil and grease are your friend. WD40 and CRC any spray is like a band-aid on an amputation. Not very effective. Peace man Happy Labor day. If you are on welfare do you still get to celebrate labor day?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks