• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 Wipers

Dispatcher7

Well looks like I get to work on the wipers today, why not it's snowing out. These trucks should come with a heated garage. LOL

When I purchased the truck about 9 months ago the washer pump was using an aftermarket pump and switch. If I hook the aftermarket pump up to the factory switch it pumps non-stop. I assume this to be a capacitor as that is what I read happens with bad capacitors. The circuit is always energized. Am I correct in this thinking? Something else?

Now the wipers only work on high speed and do not "park" they stop where ever when turned off. Taping on the three capacitors did get them to work on low speed for a short period of time. So do I bypass the capacitors by cutting and connecting the in and out wires together? Replace the capacitors, if so where do you buy them? Or just cut the capacitors out of the circuit?

If I understand the TM's correctly wiper park is part of the washer pump circuit, and the connections is loose. So the first work to be done is clean and tighten all connections on the pump and motor. Hoping that works but asking to be prepared for if it does not.

dougco1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well looks like I get to work on the wipers today, why not it's snowing out. These trucks should come with a heated garage. LOL

When I purchased the truck about 9 months ago the washer pump was using an aftermarket pump and switch. If I hook the aftermarket pump up to the factory switch it pumps non-stop. I assume this to be a capacitor as that is what I read happens with bad capacitors. The circuit is always energized. Am I correct in this thinking? Something else?

Now the wipers only work on high speed and do not "park" they stop where ever when turned off. Taping on the three capacitors did get them to work on low speed for a short period of time. So do I bypass the capacitors by cutting and connecting the in and out wires together? Replace the capacitors, if so where do you buy them? Or just cut the capacitors out of the circuit?

If I understand the TM's correctly wiper park is part of the washer pump circuit, and the connections is loose. So the first work to be done is clean and tighten all connections on the pump and motor. Hoping that works but asking to be prepared for if it does not.
You may need to replace the wiper motor with a new reconditioned wiper motor. They usually have a lifetime warranty. Also just unplug the capacitor and plug the wire plug directly into the wiper motor. No wire cutting necessary. The capacitor is not needed and may be causing your issue to begin with.
If you do buy a new wiper motor make sure its for a 1984 Chevy.

Skinny

Caps do nothing

Park is a function internal to the motor. If low is not working you'll have to see if it's the switch or motor.

I had a washer motor that would pump washer fluid anytime it was moving. I think the cam stuck on so once you hit the washer it would jam and ci tongue to clean the windshield till the reservoir was dry.

Nice bit gets expensive quickly.

Dispatcher7

You may need to replace the wiper motor with a new reconditioned wiper motor. They usually have a lifetime warranty. Also just unplug the capacitor and plug the wire plug directly into the wiper motor. No wire cutting necessary. The capacitor is not needed and may be causing your issue to begin with.
If you do buy a new wiper motor make sure its for a 1984 Chevy.
Thanks!

I was pleasantly surprised to find the capacitor was a simple unplug and plug in direct. That gave me low speed and park. Washer pump still pumps all the time. It's currently on a push button and can stay that way for a while. Will a rebuilt motor/pump possibly fix the washer issue?

dougco1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks!

I was pleasantly surprised to find the capacitor was a simple unplug and plug in direct. That gave me low speed and park. Washer pump still pumps all the time. It's currently on a push button and can stay that way for a while. Will a rebuilt motor/pump possibly fix the washer issue?
It did the trick for me. My pump would keep pumping too. The "not parking" was the first issue then the pump acted up. Put a new wiper motor in and never looked back.

ssdvc

LOL ! My wiper motor just gave up on me on the ride home, just as I was making my way up the Sawmill River Parkway...........in the rain!!! I was looking at replacements and Advanced has a Carquest rebuild for $66, with a lifetime replacement and a new WAI with a lifetime replacement for $115 plus shipping, then minus $20 for orders over $100.

I am thinking the rebuilt Carquest, but I am open to suggestions. Thanks.

dougco1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
LOL ! My wiper motor just gave up on me on the ride home, just as I was making my way up the Sawmill River Parkway...........in the rain!!! I was looking at replacements and Advanced has a Carquest rebuild for $66, with a lifetime replacement and a new WAI with a lifetime replacement for $115 plus shipping, then minus $20 for orders over $100.

I am thinking the rebuilt Carquest, but I am open to suggestions. Thanks.
Either would be fine. Make sure its ordered for a 1984 and it will be a perfect replacement. It will have the washer pump built in. The later years had no pump.

cucvrus

Get this one.
Lifetime warranty
Stay away from this A C Delco JUNK.
1 year warranty.
But before doing anything double check the connection that goes to the motor. Eliminate the military wiring and plug in direct. I have seen that connection go bad. Lets hope it isn't the switch in the column.
Even this Cardone has a better review and warranty then the A C Delco

This is a 10 minute job. Any longer then that and you are doing it all wrong.
DO NOT disconnect the 5/16" stud nut with a 1/2" wrench. Only loosen not remove the 2 M6 10mm headed studs on the ball joint connection of the wiper linkage. Once you have the wipers in park position replace the wiper arm on the new motor in the same clocking position. Clean all the grounds. Good Luck. No cross threading should take place here. Happy Holidays.

ssdvc

Thanks Rick. Ordered the WAI motor. Got 20% off, so it came to $123 with tax and shipped to my door. I did one on my other 1009 years ago. Agree it is a simple job.

ssdvc

Damn ! That's a good price. Ordered mine yesterday, FedEx dropped it off about 10 minutes ago. Paid more, but all good.

cucvrus

Damn ! That's a good price. Ordered mine yesterday, FedEx dropped it off about 10 minutes ago. Paid more, but all good.
You done good. I see no mention of a lifetime warranty. I like most warrantys that I don't have to use. But it is nice if the situation arrises. Merry Christmas.

ssdvc

Ok, so earlier this week the temp was up around 45 and it was sunny out. A good day to get the motor changed out. Work was straight forward and the job took a total of about 30 minutes. The one bolt attachment was fairly easy. Now, new motor and a lifetime warrantee from AutoZone. And it looks like the motor was replaced at least once, as the old one was stamped reman. The down side is that the motor is still moving the wipers kinda slow, in both speeds.

Attachments

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok, so earlier this week the temp was up around 45 and it was sunny out. A good day to get the motor changed out. Work was straight forward and the job took a total of about 30 minutes. The one bolt attachment was fairly easy. Now, new motor and a lifetime warrantee from AutoZone. And it looks like the motor was replaced at least once, as the old one was stamped reman. The down side is that the motor is still moving the wipers kinda slow, in both speeds.
If you haven't already, you may want to clean and grease the rotating joints behind the firewall. If those are rusty, it will slow the cycle speed.

ssdvc

Yup, as soon as the rain stops and the sun come out, I am going to remove the cowl cover and clean and lube all the rotating parts.

ssdvc

Yup, windshield was wet. Wipers are just really slow. It is supposed to hit 50 here over the next two days. I will try and pull the cowl cover and lube everything up. Here is a pic of the old motor, which was also slow (so I am thinking linkage could cause the sluggishness).

Attachments

cucvrus

I am thinking electrical. Get a voltmeter and check and see if you are getting 12 volts to the motor. Also make sure the grounds are clean and tight. Add a temporary ground and see if that makes any improvements. Report back. Happy New Year.

cucvrus

I was thinking with the wiper motor disconnected you could manually operate the wipers and eliminate the linkage. I doubt the linkage is that bad and binding. But when you do install the wiper motor disconnect it from the ball stud and grease that ball stud on the wiper motor arm. Taking the cowl off may require pulling the hood. I have ah them both ways. But keep in mind hood adjustment is critical because I had them unadjusted and bending the cowl up when an open of hood was attempted. Mark the hinges if you need to loosen and adjust back to marked position. If needed only loosen the hinge bolts on the hood. Not the lift spring arms. Good Luck.

dougco1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yup, windshield was wet. Wipers are just really slow. It is supposed to hit 50 here over the next two days. I will try and pull the cowl cover and lube everything up. Here is a pic of the old motor, which was also slow (so I am thinking linkage could cause the sluggishness).
Oversized winter wiper blades could cause some speed issues as well.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks