• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 Wiring Issues

soldierman79

Hey y'all. Really learning a lot here!

I've been making headway with the CUCV project. Finishing the alternator rebuild was a big deal, anything electrical is very intimidating for me. :oops:

Changed the oil, diff fluids, transmission fluid, transfer case fluid.

The vehicle was use by a police department, so I had to take out the red/blue lights, radio wiring, wigwags, etc. Electrical in the truck was a bit hacked up, but it's getting there.

Here's where i'm headed with this, i'm humbly asking for a bit of assistance. If there is anyone in or around San Antonio with some electrical experience, i'll gladly reimburse your knowledge for some guidance, or pay for work done.

Thanks for the help yall! :smile:

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There are quite a few CUCV owners in the SA/Austin area. Also there is the LoneStar MVPA group that meets once a month in Austin.

Contact Pawnshop. He wrecked his M1009 and is parting it out. He may have a good wiring harness for sale.

What are you needing help with? The CUCV wiring is just about as basic as it can get.

soldierman79

There are quite a few CUCV owners in the SA/Austin area. Also there is the LoneStar MVPA group that meets once a month in Austin.

Contact Pawnshop. He wrecked his M1009 and is parting it out. He may have a good wiring harness for sale.

What are you needing help with? The CUCV wiring is just about as basic as it can get.
The fuse box looks as though it was overloaded at one point, couple of melted fuse sockets, so no lights, blinkers, tail lights, etc work. The passenger side headlight/blinker wiring was chopped up at some point, needs to be un-clustered. Relay making all kinds of interesting noises. Couple other issues that i'm positive i'd do more harm than good.

Last edited:

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Removing and replacing the interior wiring harness is easy and straight forward. With the melted fuses (typical) it may be easier/faster to just replace it. See if Pawnshop is selling his and the rest of the wiring. Aslo see if Hawkman or HillbillyWizard may have a harness.

I have patched quite a few harnesses and know what to look for. Being a newbie replacement will be quicker.

soldierman79

Removing and replacing the interior wiring harness is easy and straight forward. With the melted fuses (typical) it may be easier/faster to just replace it. See if Pawnshop is selling his and the rest of the wiring. Aslo see if Hawkman or HillbillyWizard may have a harness.

I have patched quite a few harnesses and know what to look for. Being a newbie replacement will be quicker.
Looks like a wiring harness may be the way to go. Thanks brother!

I got a new fuse box, but it doesn't have any of the hardware(metal clips, pins, fuse attachment points?)I don't have a clue where to find those parts or how to install them. Any pointers?

Pawnshop

My fuse box is already spoken for and the front end is so smashed up retrieving the harness will be more trouble than it's worth. I found a NOS front harness on eBay a couple of years ago and let me tell you, replacing rather chasing problems is REALLY the way to go!

soldierman79

My fuse box is already spoken for and the front end is so smashed up retrieving the harness will be more trouble than it's worth. I found a NOS front harness on eBay a couple of years ago and let me tell you, replacing rather chasing problems is REALLY the way to go!
Much appreciated! I may have tracked down everything I need by going the harness route.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks