• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 with 15k miles won't start

3dubs

I did not write clearly. The vacume worked. The fuel pump is off now. The push rod is jammed now. I do not know if gravity and putting the fuel pump on pushed the push rod to the side toward the front of the engine. I have to get the push rod out no matter what. But how do I know if the cam has been damaged? When the push rod fell down would it have fallen away from the cam? If pulling the rod out and just putting an elec fuel pump will make it work then I will be happy. Maybe I only need to pull the push rod and maybe replace it. I am pretty mad at myself for something that was all my fault.

TigerHawk

This should not be a big problem... Can you see the rod? Is it all the way down against the cover plate? You would have a heck of a time bending a hardened fuel pump push rod. Is the fuel pump lever bent? The trick to holding the rod up while you install the fuel pump is heavy grease. rotate the motor so the cam is in the "up" position.

Let me know where you are with this project. I can walk you through it.

Cell 970-769-0537

3dubs

I am talking about my chevy. I can feel the pushrod just under opening. With a flashlight I could see it. I will be trying to get it out tomorrow afternoon. With the engine in the truck can pliers get in the opening?

3dubs

I really know how to read; really. I looked back at the TM and saw that silly thing called the "mounting plate." Did you know that when you take it off the push rod can fall right out? I felt real bright!:roll:

Everything looks good. I started puting it back together but ran out of light. I will put it back togher and see if it works. If it does not work I will just pull it off, block it off, and put an elec pump on it. But I think the rod just fell out of the way and the pump does not look bent.

3dubs

It's Alive! It's Alive!
Got the fuel pump on with c3bosco's help. It worked fine. Got fuel and got fuel to the injectors. Put the glow plugs in. The the Green Beast fired up. Needed power steering fluid to make steering easier and the brakes smoother. But took it for a quick spin and it has plenty of power.

The problems:
The check valve on top of the injection pump needed to be cleaned.
The original batteries could not turn the engine fast enough to start.
The piston rings were not sealing, allowing blow-by.

What I did:
Put a new IP in just in case, and I can rebuild the old one for a back up.
Pulled the engine, broke it down and replaced the piston rings.
(Put the engine back together and put it back in the truck.)
Two new batteries. (Reconditioned)
New fuel pump and fuel filter just for good measure.

Thanks c3bosco for all the help.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks