• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m1009 won't start after Doghead Starter Relay conversion

dpaulus

I did the Doghead starter relay conversion on my '85 m1009 on Monday (I also changed the oil). It started and drove fine Monday and Tuesday (also changed the horn relay and air filter Tuesday night). This morning (Wednesday) was colder (25 degrees), and it would not start for the first time ever! Installed 2 new Interstate batteries in October.

It started and drove fine in colder weather before the conversion. It sounded like the starter was turning over slower. Could it be the new relay doesn't provide as much current? Has anyone else had any issues like this after the conversion? Could the horn relay have affected anything?

Steel Soldiers has been great so far. I really appreciate all your input!

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Before starting any electrical troubleshooting, always make sure your batteries are fully charged and load tested. Just because they where new in October doesn't mean they are not drained or bad.

The new relay only provides current to the starter solenoid to engage. If it is cranking then it is doing its job. A slow crank usually means a low battery or a loose battery cable.

Last edited:

ODFever

Madness Takes Its Toll...
Steel Soldiers Supporter
After you check and charge the batteries, check your starter. Most shops will test it, but make sure you tell them it's 24 volt. I recommend replacing the starter just for peace of mind and throwing the old one in the box and keep it as a spare in the truck. I don't know about you, but I HATE being stranded somewhere and having to fix my truck in a parking lot or having to call AAA to have my CUCV take a ride on a flatbed home.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What did you use for oil?

When you converted your relay, did you disconnect both battery positive cables?

Did you clean and properly tighten your cables ?

Last edited:

dpaulus

Doghead,

I used Delo 15w40 as recommended by a few users. I did NOT disconnect both positives! Just the positive on one side and negative on the other. Maybe that drained the battery enough to start in warm weather but not in cold?

Is there a way to jump start the 24v system with another 12v car?

Cables were cleaned and tightened.

Thanks for the help.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can use a volt meter and measure each battery(between it's + and - posts).

If either battery is low(much lower than the other), you can use regular jumper cables on just that one battery, and most likely get it started.

Once it's started, measure those batteries again, to see if each alternator is charging each battery.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
With the number of batteries I have, three items that I use all the time are my battery charger, my HF battery tester along with my multimeter.

If you own a CUCV I would highly recommend getting all three.

battery charger.jpgbattery tester.jpgbattery multimeter.jpg

Last edited:

dpaulus

Thanks for all the advise.

Batteries were at 12.45 and 12.55 volts, and Jump start worked. Just checked harbor freight, and battery tester is only$20. Great recommendation! Have the volt meter and charger. HF says you can use the battery tester to test the starter for excessive draw. Do you use yours for that also?

I really appreciate your help. You all really make working on CUCV's fun.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You may have a bad battery. Your voltages should have been enough.

I would charge and load test them.

What are the volatge readings once it is running?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks