• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 Won't start in 20 degrees and under

lindsaym

I know there's plenty of posts about hard starting in the cold, but none that exactly matched up to my issue. Starting off. GP, GP relay and batteries are all in working order. I ONLY have issues when it dips below 20 degrees (usually down to -10). If it's warmer than that, or I park in the garage, my truck starts like a champ. I've done everything I know with the batteries, and tried to jump start from another vehicle, with no success so I'm starting to look elsewhere. The engine does turn over, just doesn't start. Also, after going through the starting sequence a few times, the engine turning over gets slower and slower - very sluggish. I took my batteries to NAPA yesterday and tested good. I'm wondering if all my hard starts has worn out the starter, I just don't get why I would only have that issue when it's cold. Presently my truck is in the driveway taking up space and my mission in life tomorrow is getting it started. Any suggestions on different things I could look at? I appreciate any help.

pmramsey

I installed an electric fuel pump at the tank. During the glow plug warm-up, I flip the switch for the electric pump. I leave it running during the cranking phase and leave it running until the glow plug system stops cycling. Pressure, pressure, pressure. However, much below 20 F and standard diesel fuel begins to flow like Vaseline.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Fuel additive?

rivcrazy2000

Did they load test the batteries? I'd say either your batteries or your glowplugs are bad. With mine plugged in at 0 degrees I only had to apply right around 2 seconds of power to the plugs, turned off almost immediately. When it was -15 earlier in the week it was about 7 seconds when plugged in. I have started it unassisted at -20 before and it took a while but fired under it's own power, never tried any colder. I'd have the batteries thoroughly tested and then start looking at glow plugs if you're sure everything else is in working order.

Skinny

I agree that the fuel may just be too thick and additive will help but...

A CUCV should have no issues starting well below freezing if everything is functioning correctly. The engine will crank slower due to the batts being cold and the oil thicker but if anything in the starting system is sluggish...no dice. If the starter is starting to become weak, the cold weather will amplify the problem and will cause it to crank just slow enough to not start. It will be pretty cranky till the engine warms up but you should have no issues starting unassisted at this temperature.

lindsaym

Yes, I do put in a deisel additive, usually Deisel 911 or a related product. I will test glow plugs again, as well as the batteries. I left the truck out today, with the batteries in (it was 20-25) and when I just tried to start the engine it would barely turn over. Could there be a short or bad ground somewhere, or something that's pulling on the batteries to make them die so fast?

Flingarrows

What kind of shape are the battery cables in? Any corrosion, etc? I have very large battery cables on my 715, and my buddy, who owns three 6.2 trucks now and has had several over the years, cannot believe how fast mine cranks

Hasdrubal

If your starter is tired, that could be the problem, as well as oil viscosity at those temps. These motors require a cranking speed of 200 rpm. When my starter was worn out, it was extremely hard to start in cold weather.

lindsaym

I'm no expert, but they seem to be in pretty decent shape. I actually just replaced the connectors on the front battery yesterday. I cut the first inch off the wire since it looked a little cruddy.

lindsaym

Still working through this issue. Pulled out starter relay via dog head relay instructions and found something different than what was pictured. The left connector looks the same but I'm not sure what the other two are. This vehicle was converted to 12v by previous owner.

Attachments

M1008driver

It looks like the doghead mod was never done. I think it is not as important when the vehicle is converted to 12 volt, but don't believe me without checking with others. I saved this pic from another poster because it is very good.

That said, I don't think that is your problem. My M1008 is also converted to 12 volt and it will not start in the cold unless I use the battery warmers (one under each battery). It gives the battery the ability to use all the stored power when I start my truck. I do not have a block heater or oil pan heater and have not needed one down to -30 degrees. I guess they would help, but both your batteries needs the warmer IMHO.

starterrelaywiring.jpg

EDIT- Chevy's don't like to start in the cold. :p

Last edited:

MarcusOReallyus

Check your grounds, but I agree it could be a worn out starter. But bad ground will do you in, too. Got to have a good path for the current to flow, and positive cables are only part of the circuit. If ANY part of the circuit is bad, the current flow will be restricted.

Grounds, grounds, grounds!

Like your battery cables, it's free to check them, and may pay off big time.

lindsaym

Update: I completely broke down my wiring and GP system and inspected/cleaned/tested all my connections. Everything came out good. Also did some routine maintenance on the starter/solenoid. Then did the same thing with my Block Heater. Though it was working, there was a ton of crud all around the tic. Cleaned it up, plugged the vehicle in, waited a couple of hours and it started on my second try. Took the opportunity to change out air/fuel filters and took her for a ride. Sounded great! Hopefully this will be the end of my cold start troubles! Thanks for the help guys!