• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009

alphadeltaromeo

I'm looking at an M1009 to purchase, but would like some feedback from the group prior to committing to the purchase.

1. Thoughts on the 6.2 engine? Is it reliable? I've had comments from a diesel civi friend who thinks they are junk and I should stay away from them.

2. Would it be recommended to use this vehicle as a commuter vehicle (100 miles/day). My general thought is that the mpg is attractive, so it seems like it would make a good choice. But then again, I know nothing of the engine. I am much more familiar with the 7.3 & 6.0 in the Fords.

Much appreciated - Andy

gasser

hi,
I got mine directly from a GL Surplus auction over at Ft. Stewart back in late Jan; it's been a good truck. 86K on the engine and i have taken it on several long trips.
I believe with just normal maintenance you should be able to get into the high 100's with it. I personally haven't encountered anything mechanically wrong with mine and has done me very well. For mileage, I usually get approx 475 highway miles to the tank, which I think is pretty good considering 32" superswampers. However, I don't drive it on a daily basis so I can't comment on the commuter aspect. The lack of AC makes it where it's less desireable for my daily commuter (yes folks, I am a pansy).

I wouldn't hesitate taking my m1009 anywhere - i am actually leaving with it on Thursday to pick up another m1009 I purchased in FL, which I will be towing back behind my cucv.

Good luck with your purchase!

-graham

mangus580

the M1009 is the BEST commuter MV. The average mileage seems to be about 20-22 MPG (although mine wont do it :-( ) Dont let your 'friend' deter you. The 6.2, although not very powerful, can be a very reliable engine. I bought mine in Kansas, flew out, and drove it home to NY.... 1200 miles with no issue at all. Mine is my daily driver, although I only go about 7 miles one way :-D

The wife even 'tolerated' it for the trip to Aberdeen, and commented that it wasnt as bad as she had thought it would be.

All in all, GO FOR IT!

alphadeltaromeo

Many thanks for both responses. I am really tempted...and I use the word "tempted" in a good way of course...to purchase one I have my eye on. Couple of follow-ups here: doesn't a diesel generally last quite a bit longer than high 100s? I was thinking more in the lines of 3-400? Or does it relate to the gearing of the vehicle that puts more wear and tear? What's top speed like? The second post mentioned mpg normally being 20-22...yours doesnt get that much? Tires?

One note...I noticed that gasser is in Marietta...I work in the Dunwoody area by the Perimeter mall...yes, I'd love to see all your vehicles. I've been quite nosey and browsed the pics of yours...can't blame me, it's starting to get in my blood now :p

Again, many thanks!

Andy

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Just buy a deuce, you'll be happier!!!!

Are you coming to the fall MV show that's coming up in Peachtree City? You shoudl come and introduce yourself, lots of us will be there

alphadeltaromeo

I may have to agree with you there :p Also, just joined the forum and was unaware of the event in the Fall. With that said, though, I'd love to come.

Is there a link or details you could forward?

Many thanks - Andy

gbooth

Small diesels engines do not last as long as big engines the reason being is the amount of RPM's they turn. Small engines turn as much as there gas counterparts while big truck engines on average only turn 2100-2600 RPM's

I got my 1008 near the end of March, drove it to the shop from the guy I bought it from, and haven't had to put wrench on it, except for some small non engine related stuff (leaking coolant sensor, and glow plug relay, now glow plugs 'cause i burned em up jumping the relay to start it in the mornings :oops: )

It's our daily driver, and it gets driven! It sat at his shop for 4 years, started right up when we put batteries in it, and been running good ever since. I've got almost 10,000 miles on it since then, 3 oil changes, and a coolant flush/replacement. You'll hear no complaints from me. Even the wife loves the truck.

Some people confuse the 6.2 with that crappy Olds diesel they tried to pawn off on folks. Don't be one of those. :)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks