• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M101 A2 tire suggestions

David Dannenberg

All,

I used my 1985 M101A2 recently for the first time in about a year. Great trailer; tows well, backs well, stops well, and carries a LOT of weight. When I went to use it I checked the tire pressure--one was still at 65psi, the other down to about 10. Not bad for 12 months outside. I aired up to 80lbs, did my short errand to pick up a thousand pound chunk of granite, and all is well. However, I also looked hard at the tires. There is virtually no wear on them, but at close to 30(!) years old there is noticeable cracking in the rubber. Obviously if I am to use load this thing heavily, or use it often, or take it on the highway, I need to put new tires on it.

Any recommendations as to type or brand? I don't want to spend a fortune and the demands of a trailer tire are less severe than a truck tire. I have seen some trailer specific tires but wonder what happens to them with a heavy load on a dirt road. At the same time I don't want the road noise and vibration of a heavy lug treaded off-road tire.

I also wonder whether I should consider a wider tire.

Stock tire is LT 235/85R16 M+S Load Range E. I believe these matched the M880s that pulled them.

Any recommendations appreciated.

David Dannenberg
M101A2

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The 235/85 is a fine trailer tire. What are you towing with. I see no real reason to swap size unless it is to match the towing vehicle. Stick with "E" tires of a known brand and you should be just fine.

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would not change tire size or Load Rating, and also, stay with a LT tire, not a trailer tire. Economizing does has some merit though. Wally World has a less expensive, non brand name tire.

Aren't you supposed to narrow down your location a little more?

David Dannenberg

Thanks. I'll stick with the stock size and look for a recognizable brand. I want good strength, wear, and tread, but not so much lug that I get a lot of hiway noise.

David Dannenberg
M101A2
Philadelphia PA

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Rosco meant change your profile location. State is required per the rules.

Thank you

As for tires Gimpy and I just go up the street to junk yard and ask for GM 8-lug wheels and use what they have in the approximate size.

They are usually only a couple years old if you get them off a newer wrecked vehicle.

Last edited:

David Dannenberg

Good idea. I also have a friend who does a lot of truck work; I will ask him to keep his eyes open. One problem could be that newer trucks tend to run 17" or even 20" rims.

Lemme figure out how to change the profile location. I am not trying to keep it a secret or anything.

David Dannenberg
M101A2
Philadelphia PA

David Dannenberg

I'll check out the Walmart tires. I'll also call Tire Rack. They have been great in the past.

To answer what I pull it with: Alas, not a military vehicle. I pull it with a 2003 Ford E350 with a 4WD conversion.

For what it is worth I am working--very slowly--on building a 1946 Power Wagon; although it is not military it has a military pedigree. The rear axle is out of a 1945 Dodge Weapons Carrier. And I am doing this project with a friend who is fooling with both Power Wagons and their military cousins the M-37. In fact there is a pair of M-37 axles in my driveway right now and some other parts in the garage. And 5 lovely Hummer tires on custom rims awaiting installation on my PW if I ever get it built.

I recently sold my other military trailer, a quarter ton with surge brakes. Lovely, but too small for my uses.

David Dannenberg
M101A2
Philadelphia PA

David Dannenberg

That is a nice looking tire at a great price. Thanks for the lead.

Then I scroll down and see the load range F and G tires; they look good for loads but not for traction and I have no idea about puncture resistance. You do need some traction in rain, ice, mud or the trailer will slide around. Anyone have experience with trailer specific tires?

As to the van, yes, 16" rims. Running 33" tires. 8 lug, but there are at least 3 different patterns for 8 lug wheels--Ford Van, Dana/Sterling Ford truck, and either CHevy or Dodge. Two of the big three share the same spacing but I forget which two. I set up a spare on mine and I think it is a Dodge, but to be fair I never checked the fit.

David Dannenberg
M101A2
Philadelphia PA

David

3dAngus

For what it is worth I am working--very slowly--on building a 1946 Power Wagon; although it is not military it has a military pedigree. The rear axle is out of a 1945 Dodge Weapons Carrier. And I am doing this project with a friend who is fooling with both Power Wagons and their military cousins the M-37. In fact there is a pair of M-37 axles in my driveway right now and some other parts in the garage. And 5 lovely Hummer tires on custom rims awaiting installation on

David Dannenberg
M101A2
Philadelphia PA
David, I'm wondering if you could post some pics of your 46 power wagon. I am looking at a 47 dodge pickup of unknown origin now, trying to work out a deal. The grill is fantastic, but it looks like a $10K bill to fix up and he says he has $10K in it now. It doesn't show. I want to work a trade with my
Deuce buggy, a bobbed deuce and a half. My hope is it might have some kind of military background as he says he got it from the fire department or so.
Can you post a pic please. I need to see what one looks like that might be retrofitted to a military one, or even a civilian one. The lines on this old bug eye are beautiful and worthy of time and money, but I don't know how much, and I would like to see if this one is par with yours, if you don't mind.

David Dannenberg

I cannot easily post pictures because the truck is in pieces in another state. I can tell you that Power Wagon bodies did not change appreciably between 1946 and 1968. There is a huge PW following and many groups and sites on line dedicated to them. My knowledge is limited compared to the aficionados. There were other Dodge pick-ups that were not Power Wagons and there are lots of later Dodge pick-ups that are badged Power Wagons that aren't what most people mean when they say "Dodge Power Wagon".

So I don't mean to dodge (oops) your question, but I think you will bet better information on one of the forums and by searching some of the sites below than I can give you. I could tell you a bit more from a photo, but I don't know a lot about value. Like any project vehicle, it is probably much cheaper to buy one that someone else has poured their time and money into than to do it yourself, assuming that your time is worth more than a dollar an hour! However doing it yourself is part of the fun for a lot of us and in theory you can get/make exactly what you want.

A google image search will show you what they should look like.

The Wikipedia page is pretty good: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dodge_Power_Wagon
Power Wagon Forum: http://www.dodgepowerwagon.com/
Advertising forum discussion etc. http://www.powerwagonadvertiser.com/

Sorry not to be more directly helpful

David Dannenberg
M101A2
Philadelphia.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks