• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M101 A3 Build Utility, Camping, etc.

ALL4GLH

I just registered mine today. I'm still debating on keeping the surge or not. All I'm really using it for is to haul firewood out of my wood lot and little odd and ends that my 20ft equipment trailer is overkill on. Personally, I don't think I'll have any trouble using the trailer for my needs and shouldn't having trouble stopping without it. You think it's worth it to ditch it? I suppose I can keep it to convert back later if needed.

justinh

I just registered mine today. I'm still debating on keeping the surge or not. All I'm really using it for is to haul firewood out of my wood lot and little odd and ends that my 20ft equipment trailer is overkill on. Personally, I don't think I'll have any trouble using the trailer for my needs and shouldn't having trouble stopping without it. You think it's worth it to ditch it? I suppose I can keep it to convert back later if needed.
I think that depends on what you are towing it with and where you are towing it. For me surge brakes were never going to be a solution based on my needs/goals for the trailer. So far I've towed this thing about 150 miles with no brakes using a 2001 toyota 4runner that is lifted on 33" tires. I've had no problems controlling the load and stopping it but I haven't had any serious loads in the trailer yet. However, with the mods I'm making and weight I am saving there and the maximum capacity of the trailer it still shouldn't be heavier than 2500-2700 lbs or therebouts. I've towed a lot of loads in that range with this vehicle and never had brakes before on those trailers.

The new axle I ordered will have electric brakes. My current 4runner isn't currently set-up for that but other vehicles I may tow this with are and it won't take much to add them to my 4runner. I figured if I was going to spend the money and time to put a new axle under it I wasn't going to skimp out. I ordered mine with electric drums AND a "parking brake" provision so I can keep the handbrakes.

If you are going to tow with a pintle, etc I see no reason to ditch the surge brakes.

ALL4GLH

I'm primarily using it to haul firewood out of my woodlot (maybe 2500lbs) with my Silverado 1500. At this point I ordered the adjustable channel bracket and 2 5/16" coupler. I'll see if it's feasible to keep the surge, I don't think I'll have an issue without it. If I get rid of the surge I'm going to try and keep the trailer leg/jack and then sell the surge on eBay or something.

I could always go your route and add an axle with electric brakes, but at that overall cost I might be able to talk my wife into a dump trailer (she's pretty relaxed when it comes to spending money).

justinh

I'm primarily using it to haul firewood out of my woodlot (maybe 2500lbs) with my Silverado 1500. At this point I ordered the adjustable channel bracket and 2 5/16" coupler. I'll see if it's feasible to keep the surge, I don't think I'll have an issue without it. If I get rid of the surge I'm going to try and keep the trailer leg/jack and then sell the surge on eBay or something.

I could always go your route and add an axle with electric brakes, but at that overall cost I might be able to talk my wife into a dump trailer (she's pretty relaxed when it comes to spending money).
My personal experience says that a modern half-ton truck shouldn't need trailer brakes to tow 2500lbs...I'm sure many others here will tell me I am wrong and trying to kill someone.

It might make it easier and "better" but certainly not needed if your truck is in good shape.

You might be surprised on the axle costs. If I hadn't ordered the parking brake option my new axle with hardware would have been about $275. This allowed me to get a lug pattern I chose (I got 6x5.5 so it matches my primary vehicle and I have a common spare tire for the vehicle/trailer) and a brand new axle with brakes and a 3500lbs capacity. With the parking brake option and hardware it was $380.

justinh

I have had many members contact me about parts that they saw me removing in this thread. I have sold the entire surge assembly, mount and landing leg to a local member. He is also interested in the tires and wheels but I can't let those go just yet.

I'm going to update my first post too.

I do still plan to sell my A3 raised center axle and I have all of the electrical wiring harnesses, lights, etc that I removed.

Last edited:

justinh

Post some pictures when you can.
I won't be able to post any until I get the axle and we head back to my buddy's shop to install it and make the rest of the upgrades. There honestly isn't too much to look that I haven't already posted! It's been keeping me busy, I ran all of my new wiring and secured it with wiring tabs installed the trailer lights on the existing brackets, secured all of my wiring, etc. I put a couple coats of black paint on the outside of the frame rails and the tongue too, just stuff to keep progress moving while I wait for bigger parts. The next round of changes will be more to look at!

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can't post in the classifieds because you are not a premium member. You must pay to advertise. This is explained in the classified stickies.

justinh

You can't post in the classifieds because you are not a premium member. You must pay to advertise. This is explained in the classified stickies.
No kidding?!?! I honestly hadn't even checked the classifieds here for the rules as the guy that referred me here from another forum to share my build/modifications mentioned you had to have 50 posts to put stuff up for sale. That solves that issue!

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
No post count minimum(that was the old rule).

ALL4GLH

I removed my surge too, got all the wiring done. I was going to post it in the classifieds, but, then I saw I had to pay for a premium membership to sell the surge portion. I guess there was a real problem in the past after reading a few threads about it.

I'm kind of anxious to see how yours comes out.

John Galt

It's funny, I ended up scrapping a lot of parts because of that membership too. I wonder how many pays have been trashed because people do not want to pay to use the for sale section. The only work around is for more people to use the parts wanted section then go through PMs.

garwhal21

What I am really curious is what you will do for a rack. I have been looking for a setup that will span mine and hold about 1200 pounds (RTT, three adults + safety margin). Harley has one on his trailer but I have not been able to find one. ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21369919455.140220.jpg

harleyhouse

Are you going to use the cover at the same time too?
What about a cover for the tub?
The 1101, 1102 trailers do not have stake pockets.
I would use the bow mount brackets and mount cross bars to those.
The four center plates would be strong enough.

Or go all out and make a tent deck like I did from angle and expanded metal.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks