• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M101 A3 with an A2 bed

serious_lee

I have 44" between the wheel wells but surge brakes and a drop spindle. The tag says A3, but I know better. The bed is an A2 for sure, but I plan on tubbing it out to make a perfectly flat surface inside. For the mean time I had to get a pintle setup that made it ride nice and level. I decided to make a dual receiver mount from a few pieces of scrap and a harbor freight weld on receiver.
135.jpg134.jpg132.jpg126.jpg124.jpg123.jpg2013-01-17 21.16.51.jpg
119.jpg121.jpg120.jpg

Last edited:
There should be a data plate on the frame that tells you what model the frame is. M116-A?

A2s have surge brakes.

Your tires aren't sticking out like they normally do on an A2 bed with an A3 axle, but it's hard to tell from your pictures or the tires.

Last edited:

Blueegg

Looks like mine which is an a2 on a M116 frame and axle. Can't really tell from the photos but the wheels should stick out about 3.5in. Here is a photo of mine with homemade fender extensions.

By tubbing it out do you mean completely removing the inside wheel wells?
IMG_0278.jpg

serious_lee

Yeah, I was going to put fender extensions on the outside like you. There is no need to have fender wells inside the frame because my tires stick out past the inner wall. What did you use for the fender extensions, just sheet metal?

As far as the identification goes... my frame plate is all washed out. They must have just made a new one and slapped it on the bed (picture above in the first post) 125.jpg

Last edited:

Blueegg

Yeah, I was going to put fender extensions on the outside like you. There is no need to have fender wells inside the frame because my tires stick out past the inner wall. What did you use for the fender extensions, just sheet metal?

These extensions are are preformed 14ga 6x2 metal with one side cut off( see photos). I have forgot what these are called but the extensions can be made 3.5 to 5 in wide depending on the tires. Best of all, 20ft cost $36 which is enough to do 2 M101s. It requires some 60 degree bending, welding at the corners then primer, painting and bolting on the body.

My plan is to remove about 6 in of the inner wheel wells to make the bed 56in wide and still have the option to run wider tires.

Attachments

serious_lee

Here are a few more pictures of details that define my trailer. I can just barely see that it is a M116A3 frame now. I read on olive drab site that the offset axles is only on the A3s, so that matches up. I have a 3" A frame and a 4" main frame. There are also 6 leafs and the tires stick out around 4" from the bed. I don't plan on running wide tires since hauling on asphalt will mainly be my duty. There are also hopes of adding a hydraulic dump feature at some point. I don't trust the manual dump with heavy gravel loads.

.141.jpg140.jpg139.jpg138.jpg137.jpg136.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks