• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M101 canvas tie-downs

Mortimer452

Hello all, looking to find some replacement tie-downs for the canvas on my M101A2 trailer.

Bought this trailer in about 2009 or so, came with the attached elastic rubber cordage, it's about 1/2" or maybe 9/16" diameter. I dunno what this stuff is made of but it's spent 15 years out in the weather and has not deteriorated or rotted one single bit, still has great elasticity and isn't the slightest bit cracked or weathered, unlike anything else I've ever used.

Anyone know what this stuff is? A section of it was sliced somewhere along the way and finally snapped, would like to replace it with something just as durable & long-lasting. Every other type of elastic tubing/bungee cord I've used never holds up more than a couple years in the weather.

Attachments

Jeepadict

That would be EDPM rubber rope. It comes in roll/spool lengths, a quick Google will give you lots of choices.

I bought a new cover last year and all it had was the regular ropes in the individual eyelets. I got a length of bungee from Harbor freight and made knotted loops. I'd be interested to see more pics of how your top is configured.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Mortimer452

That would be EDPM rubber rope. It comes in roll/spool lengths, a quick Google will give you lots of choices.

I bought a new cover last year and all it had was the regular ropes in the individual eyelets. I got a length of bungee from Harbor freight and made knotted loops. I'd be interested to see more pics of how your top is configured.

Thanks! Yes this looks like exactly what I need.

I attached a few pics. This cord is just threaded through the eyelets at the bottom of the canvas, one cord per panel knotted at the ends. Not sure the length but I would guess each cord is maybe 1.3-1.5x the width of the panel. Super fast & easy to get everything snugged down and holds strong, much easier than the rope & eyelets I had on my old M105 trailer. Driven many highway miles with the top on and never once had anything come loose.

My canvas is finally starting to get pretty brittle & torn in a few spots as well, what's a good source for an OEM canvas that will hold up as well as the original?

Attachments

Last edited:

Jeepadict

Thanks! Yes this looks like exactly what I need.

I attached a few pics. This cord is just threaded through the eyelets at the bottom of the canvas, one cord per panel knotted at the ends. Not sure the length but I would guess each cord is maybe 1.3-1.5x the width of the panel. Super fast & easy to get everything snugged down and holds strong, much easier than the rope & eyelets I had on my old M105 trailer. Driven many highway miles with the top on and never once had anything come loose.

My canvas is finally starting to get pretty brittle & torn in a few spots as well, what's a good source for an OEM canvas that will hold up as well as the original?
There's tan OE covers currently on eBay, just type the NSN into the search bar. If you save the search, they pop up a couple times a year...the green camo go for a bit more than the tan ones do.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks