• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M101 How did you stretch your chains

lexluther

I have known for some time that my safety chains need to be lengthened. So after chatting on another thread, about how to lock your trailer, the best plan seems to be to wrap the chains arround the eye. That got me wondering, how did you add length to your chains. Did you use a threaded link, or did you weld on a new length of chain. The chains are one piece, and appear to be coated with somthing like zink or galvanized under the paint, I assume for rust protection, and I would hate to mess that up. The threaded link would somewhat defeat being able to lock up the trailer. So, how did you guys do it?

sigo

Lieutenant Colonel
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Are they too short for a specific vehicle? My 101A2 chains are perfect length for towing behind my '10 Powerwagon with no modifications.

TucsonVTXF

i ran a chain on the truck end and welded one link to the hitch with the other ends connecting to the recever so no need to extend the trailer side

lexluther

Tuscon, sounds like a good solutin, I think I can picture that, any chance you have a picture?

Sigo - The are too short for my setup with a pintle mounted to a plate that slips in my 2" receiver.

TucsonVTXF

Tuscon, sounds like a good solutin, I think I can picture that, any chance you have a picture?

Sigo - The are too short for my setup with a pintle mounted to a plate that slips in my 2" receiver.
dont go anywhere and in a few mins ill take a photo and post it online

lexluther

I thought about just adding a hood on the hitch, but I figured it would be safer if the chains went all the way to the receiver so that if the pin that locks the receiver in fails, I would still be covered...

Nick

Is it me or are there two different conversations here? No big deal, Im not complainin, but I am tryin to figure out my reply, LOL...

For locking it when not in use, the lunette lock shown earlier is what I use. For hooking up to the truck, I use this... The hitch is mounted on an adjustable plate, with the safety chain plate mounted behind it. I had the problem of the chains not reaching the towbar safety chain loops. This keeps it closer to the trailer. Then I chain the whole hitch assembly to the tow bar, kinda overkill, cuz I dont think the pin would come out with the cotter pin clip on it

Attachments

lexluther

funny, JasonC and nick have the opposite position on where the "safety" chains should be attached. Anyone experienced a seperation that would not be covered by Nick's setup?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks