• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M101 Leaf Springs

Hi,
I have a M101 trailer that has a badly sagging leaf spring. Does anyone know if I can buy replacement springs? I'm trying to avoid custom fabricating replacement springs and I've googled quite a bit and I can't even find the correct PN.
Thanks in advance for your help.

Jeepadict

Instead of Googling for the p/n, download the TM from this site and it will have the correct p/n and NSN to put into Google. Sourcing parts for unique items can be challenging...there's a couple surplus parts companies, eBay has a lot sometimes, and the members here have some of the most random stuff in their garages. There's a "wanted" category in the classifieds here, along with listings for sale. In the end, the worst case is you can buy another trailer for parts.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Per the TM is is part 10 PAOZZ 2510013533116 19207 12354240 SPRING ASSEMBLY,LEA 6 LEAVES.......
Therefore NSN is 2510013533116
Here is one on eBay, but I bet you can find it cheaper elsewhere https://www.ebay.com/itm/184562853658?hash=item2af8cda71a:g:bTEAAOSw2UpfyP9L

Best of luck. Please share your final source. I have an M116 that uses the same springs and will need some at some point.

Bulldogger

Jeepadict

Per the TM is is part 10 PAOZZ 2510013533116 19207 12354240 SPRING ASSEMBLY,LEA 6 LEAVES.......
Therefore NSN is 2510013533116
Here is one on eBay, but I bet you can find it cheaper elsewhere https://www.ebay.com/itm/184562853658?hash=item2af8cda71a:g:bTEAAOSw2UpfyP9L

Best of luck. Please share your final source. I have an M116 that uses the same springs and will need some at some point.

Bulldogger
Hang on...what's the UOC? Does the OP have a 101? A2? A3? Gotta make sure the UOC is applicable to the stuff you listed or it could all be for not.

Hang on...what's the UOC? Does the OP have a 101? A2? A3? Gotta make sure the UOC is applicable to the stuff you listed or it could all be for not.

Well the frame and suspension is the only original parts left. How can I tell which trailer I have with no data plate?

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Hi,
I have a M101 trailer that has a badly sagging leaf spring. Does anyone know if I can buy replacement springs? I'm trying to avoid custom fabricating replacement springs and I've googled quite a bit and I can't even find the correct PN.
Thanks in advance for your help.
So, I don't know what you have out there in Arizona - but what about a spring shop? We have an outfit here in North Carolina called Salem Spring. They will take broken springs and replace the leaf. They have the equipment to "recurve" the springs too if you are sagging.

We used to have them build custom springs for us when we would mount a "Corner Derrick". Add an extra 1800 pounds or to to one side - and the truck would sag unmercifully. These folks could level the truck back up for us with a few extra leafs.

If you have a similar company there, it might be worth talking about fixing your springs.

Jeepadict

Well the frame and suspension is the only original parts left. How can I tell which trailer I have with no data plate?
With no data plate...

Still have the original axle? 6-lug is the 101 or A1...8-lug straight axle is the A2...8-lug high-clearance is the A3.

How much is left of the original tongue? IIRC the surge brakes came on the A2/A3. If there's still brake lines anywhere on the frame...A2 or A3 (I think)

The parts breakdown in the TM will spell out the differences.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
8 lug means it's an A2 trailer. If the axle had a drop in it rather than straight it would be the A3.

Multiple versions of the A2 spring, as they made a heavier version.

TM 9-2330-202-13P is the manual for the M116/M101 series trailer.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
the A2 has a UOC of 258. This is the 5 leaf spring.
The A3 has a UOC of CT1
The upgraded spring used on the A3 version should be the same as the A2E2 heavy spring being a 6 leaf spring.
So either spring pack will work the same, one is just a little stiffer/stronger.

10 PAFZZ 2510-01-144-8847 19207 12313029 SPRING ASSEMBLY,LEA 5 LEAVES UOC: 258,263 ............................................... 1
10 PAFZZ 2510-01-353-3116 19207 12354240 SPRING ASSEMBLY,LEA 6 LEAVES UOC: CT1,TC1 ............................................. 1

Yes I searched "leaf" and "spring" a couple times in the TM and couldn't come up with anything. I might have been doing it wrong but it was like 500 pages so I couldn't skim through it all.

the A2 has a UOC of 258. This is the 5 leaf spring.
The A3 has a UOC of CT1
The upgraded spring used on the A3 version should be the same as the A2E2 heavy spring being a 6 leaf spring.
So either spring pack will work the same, one is just a little stiffer/stronger.

10 PAFZZ 2510-01-144-8847 19207 12313029 SPRING ASSEMBLY,LEA 5 LEAVES UOC: 258,263 ............................................... 1
10 PAFZZ 2510-01-353-3116 19207 12354240 SPRING ASSEMBLY,LEA 6 LEAVES UOC: CT1,TC1 ............................................. 1
I googled and searched but not much came up except the one guy on ebay with one spring for $500.
Do you guys know where would be a good place to find either of these springs?

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I googled and searched but not much came up except the one guy on ebay with one spring for $500.
Do you guys know where would be a good place to find either of these springs?
Anybody looked at Post #7?

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So looking around I can't find anyone that sells leaf springs that long.
I went and measured one 6 leaf spring assembly I have lying around and it was

45 1/4" long (measurement A)
2" wide
3/4" eyes
3.5" drop. (measurement B)
483_st.jpg

(I can't tell you how old/worn the spring I measured is, but it came from an A2 series trailer that has the upgraded spring pack. I know this because when I got it it was still attached to the A2 series axle)

From what I can tell, modern commercial trailers use MUCH shorter leaf springs. Unless you happen to luck out and find someone that happens to have some springs lying around, your best bet probably is to find a spring/suspension shop and have them come up with something.

Well I’ve search those part numbers all over the Internet and can’t come up with much. I can also only find one shop in town (tucson) that rearches Springs and they want $300 to do both, $400 to arch and add a leaf Do you guys feel like that’s reasonable?

Jeepadict

Well I’ve search those part numbers all over the Internet and can’t come up with much. I can also only find one shop in town (tucson) that rearches Springs and they want $300 to do both, $400 to arch and add a leaf Do you guys feel like that’s reasonable?
Did you try Jack's?

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Me personally - I think that is reasonable. Should ask a few questions though.

1. They remove the center bolt and replace it?
  2. They inspect and paint all of the leafs in the stack? (Recurving as required)
  3. Brass Bushings in each end are replaced?
  4. Measure and Confirm length "hole to hole" (so they fit the trailer when you get them back)
There might be more to consider, but if they are willing to do those four things - you would come out in good shape IMO.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks