• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M101 or M105 which to buy?

Rodger

hello All

I got my EUC today for a M109A3. I have a Puch Haflfinger (Micro Jeep) to use as a towed vehicle on the trailer. We plan to do a lot of back country camping. It will fit on the M101, but my gut tells me to buy the bigger trailer.

I would appreciate any thoughts on advantages of one over the other.

thank you
Rodger

stevegr

The 105 will tow level behind the 109. I believe the tongue on the 101 will be higher than the tailgate when towed behind the 109.

gunboy1656

Not only that but if you have to back up the 105 will back up better then the 101. The 101 is way to small to see back there. At least with the 105 you can see the very back and lug nuts of the 105.

3dAngus

The 101 is good for smaller vehicles and civilian trucks, but with the 109 for a tow vehicle, I completely agree with all the rest. You got the power, might as well use it and have the load carrying capability too. By the way, congrats on your M109 purchase. Great choice!

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would agree on the M105 for the most part. The difference between backing an M101 or M105 with a deuce is negligible. I tow both and can back both although neither is easy. Is the deuce the ONLY tow vehicle. You can easily tow a 101 with a pickup, lerge SUV or a deuce, the 105 is deuce only. Select accordingly.

RealCavDog

Just had to find some place to throw these photos, and thought the comparison of size may apply, so here goes !

Will try to add some later with them closer side by side for a better shot !

The M105A2 is featured in some other posts of my recovery from Ft. Riley, and the others are just a few of my M101A2s.

The Desert Tan is a 1991 and had an extra tarp in it, and the Olive Drab is actually my M116A2 chassis, with a later in life M101A2 retrofit, and it has all kinds of little brackets, chains with plastic star-wheel knobbed bolts, the front has holders that look like multiple rod holders, and the obvious fire extinguiser bracket ! All the little holes in the bed tell me something was mounted in it ! Betting on a generator for all the above descibed reasons !

Have two others, not on site, but thinking of parting with one of these ! Gotta' thin stuff out for the Deuce to pull the M105A2 ! Its like NEW ! [thumbzup]

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks