• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M101 paint removal

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Sasafras...... Isn't that some sort of southern Tea?
The sassafras root bark is used as a herbal tea and the root was boiled, fermented and carbonated to make a fizzy drink also know as "ROOT BEER" that is what sassafras tastes like. The dried leaves are also used to make file' powder as in "file' gumbo". Grows in the south. Not to be confused with Sarsaparilla which is another root that was also used for root beer and sorta tastes the same.
PS we used hedge, osage orange for posts in KS. 2cents

Floyd

Nick: you need to call around. I got a quote of about $400.00 for a M151 and extras near Porterville. That was less than six months ago. That was the entire Jeep. Who ever quoted that much is way out of line. I have friends in the area that do tractor restoration I'll give them a call and see what they can come up with.

Floyd

sasafras, now that's good stuff.

RICE670

A needle scaler is a good alternative to blasting. The thicker and brittle the paint the better it works. Also keep the needles ground flat for better performance.

stampy

Our company cuts sandscreens for use in sanding wood floors and also makes abrasive scrub pads if you are coming through NC on 85 stop in Henderson (exit 212) and I will be glad to give you guys some of my scrap 60-400 grit sandscreen!:-D We also have LOTS of plastic barrels!

Nick

Nick: you need to call around. I got a quote of about $400.00 for a M151 and extras near Porterville. That was less than six months ago. That was the entire Jeep. Who ever quoted that much is way out of line. I have friends in the area that do tractor restoration I'll give them a call and see what they can come up with.

Floyd

sasafras, now that's good stuff.
Where in Porterville?? I work in Porterville so maybe one day i can bring it to work with me and drop it off.

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
A needle scaler is run off air, welders use them to clean off slag, in the Navy we used them to remove paint. The thicker the metal and paint the better it works.They make one heck of a racket!

Nick

Some people I work with have told me to use something I'm surprised no one mentioned here.

Has anyone ever used aircraft stripper? I was told it would even take off the carc if not careful. I kinda wanna leave that though as a good rust preventitive base. :roll:

Barrman

Maybe others have had better luck with it. I have tried aircraft stripper on my old M715 lead based paint. It just made a mess and didn't remove much paint.

CARC stands for Chemical Agent Resistant Coating. It is made to not come off when stuff like aircraft stripper, brake fluid and such are applied to it.

By the way. CARC is considered a hazmat type thing all by itself. Add in aircraft stripper and you have a toxic dump situation if you are not carefull. Watch any animals or kids near the stuff.

Barrman

Pretty much the only way to get CARC of is to knock it off either with power tools or an abrasive blaster. Those strippers you mentioned are just more diluted versions of the aircraft stripper in most cases.

uglysteve

I was going to try a wet sand blasting kit ( Karcher Part No. 2.638-792.0) for my pressure washer, when I am ready to paint my trailer. I don't know how well it works, but it looks a lot cheaper than paying someone to strip the paint, and you keep the tools.

Nick

Cool, I have a karcher, I checked out the kit on thier website and its only 80 bucks. I never thought of it for my karcher. I heard of them for others. I think Ill hafta try that. I did it with just the pressure washer, but no luck.

thanks for the info

uglysteve

Cool, I have a karcher, I checked out the kit on thier website and its only 80 bucks. I never thought of it for my karcher. I heard of them for others. I think Ill hafta try that. I did it with just the pressure washer, but no luck.

thanks for the info
Let me know how it works. I would like to paint my trailer this year.
The wet blasting should reduce any toxic dust from the paint.

I took the paint off my pintle hitch, by soaking it in used break fluid, and pressure washing. The paint was not CARC.

knattrass

We ended up with the Home Depot heavy duty stripper and then knocked it off with a power washer - messy as all get out but we were able to get near the metal.... had to sandblast the inside corners and some areas but it was quick work.

Nick

Well while on duty the last three days, my Karcher pressure washer sandblaster attachment arrived.

I had an extra 90lb bag of sand left over from doing my wheels and misc other parts, so I got it from my station and brought it home, very anxious to try it out.

well, considering I have a small Karcher 1500 psi washer, I was pretty impressed. It took the layers of paint off, down to the military colored paint, and even took alot of that off in some places. If I had a full size washer, gas powered big one, I bet it would work really good. I used one bag on the tailgate of my M101 trailer, and did both sides.

I tried a few spots on the trailer itself, and in the areas I had sprayed aircraft stripper, or brake cleaner or oven cleaner, it worked even better, as all the layers were softened.

I might stick with that idea, and spray the whole thing with stripper, then pressure blast it.

Clean up is pretty cool too, all the sand pooled along the curb of my property line. The guy that gave me the sand said give it a day to dry out, scoop it up and use it again. It just wont be AS good as the first time.

Hope to have this thing ready by the Holister Power Wagon Rally
Nick

beck

sassafras and blasting

Glad to see you are making blasting progress. I'm following your progress for future reference.
The aircraft stripper is better quality than the others. We used it to strip old cars when we don't want the blasting media mess. It is messy and often slow, but you don't have to disassemble a car to use it. Just carefully tape off what you don't want stripped. Keep it off the rubber!
There is some sassafras here in southern IL. It isn't used widely as lumber here except by experienced woodworkers who buy it direct from the mills. It is chosen because of it's weather resistance. A friend has a restored historic home and recently had some trim made from it. The local wood craftsman recomended it.
I use sassafras to smoke meat with. Sassafras smoke flavor is milder than the typical hickory. It's crazy what you can learn here!

Nick

i didnt seem to have too awefully good luck with the aircraft stripper. it dried very quick and didnt really allow much to be taken off with a scraper, like I was hopeing to do most of the trailer with. im gonna try a thicker gel like stripper, then maybe blast the remaining that it leaves behind

Jeeze I just wanna get this done, theres gotta be a good, effective, inexpensive way to do this.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks