• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M101 question

Tayenfabrication

So I just won an "M101a1" from gov liquidation. My EUC cleard in 19 days and I pick it up fro Forte MEad, MD on 9.7.2011. I got it for $170, but paid $187 with the buyer premium. So my question is, even though it is listed as an M101 it has the 8 lig rims on it. Not the humvee rims, but 8 on 6.5 rims no less. Is this mis labeled as an A1 when it is actually an M2?

kennys@wi.rr.com

I had the same thing. The GL employee who list the trailer has to list it as the paperwork they are given by the government has it listed. Many times these trailers have the beds swapped from one frame to another. Then some one looks at the box and it has an A1 plate on it and that's how it get's listed on the paperwork.

Ripcord01

Different variations of trailers. Depending on the unit and it's use. You can measure the inside of the cargo bed to tell. I believe the areas is less in the A1 than the A2. Posting a picture is a easier to determine since we don't have the trailer in our sight.. Welcome aboard..

Nonotagain

Last group of trailers I bought I got 2 A1's listed as A2's and 1 A2 listed as an A1. These things do happen.
If you paid for A2's and received A1's shame on you.

If the trailer doesn't have 8 lug wheels, I know it's an A1 and I'll pass.

I'm about 50/50 with calling GL on mid-identified items having the description changed or the sale cancelled.

kennys@wi.rr.com

I spoke to them about the listing before I ever bid, yes I knew what I was bidding on and did it purposly. I was told that they have no choice but to list them with what the paperwork thay have been given says it is. If Uncle Sam says it's an A1 then by golly they better list it as such. Like I said I knew the difference, but I bout them more for the tarps than anything really.

bullfrog1234

i had won one that had the pictures of and A2 and when i picked it up, was and M101. So, the pictures can get mixed up and different from what you see online. I pays to go and view the item before you bid.

roady

If you paid for A2's and received A1's shame on you.

If the trailer doesn't have 8 lug wheels, I know it's an A1 and I'll pass.

I'm about 50/50 with calling GL on mid-identified items having the description changed or the sale cancelled.

Is there a reason you pass on the A1's other than the brakes and wheels? I just got an M101A1 and was curious. I am really wanting an M101A3....

scrapdaddy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't like the A1 because of 2 reasons. No tongue jack, you have to lift it off the pintle, which gets real heavy if you mount anything on it. Like spare or cooler,etc. Also the frame is smaller in size. 3 inch frame rail, instead of 4 on the newer ones.

Nonotagain

Is there a reason you pass on the A1's other than the brakes and wheels? I just got an M101A1 and was curious. I am really wanting an M101A3....
The A1's are older trailers. If I ever decide to sell, I can get all of my money out of the A3, so-so on the A1.

The A1 bed width is much narrower than the A3. A1's are 45" between wheel wells, A3's are 55".

Wheels are not as easy to find. I don't care for the NDT tires. Tubes are a pain in the butt. There are tubeless M37 wheels, but I haven't seen one in the person.

And I need brakes.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Consider them legos. No telling what combination has been put together. The A3 is supposed to be the only one rated at 1 ton as built. There is an upgrade kit for the A2 that raises its capacity. The only bed with increased inside dimensions is the M101A3. A1 and A2 share the same inside dimension from the factory. The A2 bed does (again from the factory) have lifting rings whereas the A1 doesn't. Take every bit of this with a grain of salt because by the time they get to GL, you could have a hodge podge of all parts listed. Beds, chassis, tongues and axles get swapped.

tbone1004

wish you were closer to NC. I've been looking for one of those for a while. I have an M116A1 that I want the 8lug axle for. No need for the brakes, just want the axle for ease of wheels and tires...

Ratch

I recently picked up an early A3 listed as an A2.
I've also picked up A2's listed as A1's.

I've had A1's stacked inverted on an early A3 and A2's, the bed rails line up exactly the same, but later A3's have more inner space between the fenders. You can tell a later/HMMWV A3 from an earlier model by the HMMWV wheels or the fender protrusion from the sides.

Later A2's also have lifting hoops at each corner, and internal and external bedwall support gussets...Later A2 beds are the same as early A3 beds. Earlier A2 beds are the same as A1 beds.

M101A3's also have thicker drawbar steel if mounted on an M116A3...

HAWKMAN

All said the A2's are tough little trailers for general hauling.
:ditto: I'd say the greater portion of the people that buy 101's from me are contractors that like the fact they are tough and also dump, and really don't care about them having M-37 style wheels....as long as they work:cool:

mrfishaholic

you got yourself an A2 if it has 8 lug wheels, the axle upgrade is the tell tell, the beds are the same size though there are 3 different beds I have seen on both the A1's and A2's interchangably....

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks