• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M101 Recovery, Ft Drum

namedpipes

I am just winding down from a successful recovery of an M101A2 from Fort Drum.

Won in March, EUC just cleared, pickup went smooth other than believing Tom Tom instead of Google and driving an extra 1 1/2 hours on the trip up and a flat tire on the trip back.

Doghead - THANK you for the most kind "just in case" offer and I'm glad things went smoothly enough I didn't have to impose!

The wife wonders why I wanted such a big trailer. I didn't have the heart to tell her it was the baby brother to the one I'm getting in the spring...

Little bit of flaky rust areas should clean up nice. A little heavier rust along the bottom front edge of the box. Absolutely perfect canopy. Must have been brand new. New brake lines, MC in good shape, at least to the eye. Tires good to the eye but date coded from 2002, so those will get replaced pretty soon. Now I get to try and register it!

ralbelt

How did it tow at highway speeds. I'm going up this weekend to tow back a M101a2 with my E250. I towed my M101a1 about 5 miles once but not at highway speeds.
I did not have any problems registering the A2 as I had a SF97 for it. The A1 the DMV had to think a little harder but did register it.

namedpipes

I'm in Mass so there was no possibility of a temp tag or a legal normal tow, so I rented a flatbed trailer to bring it back on. The tow vehicle was a 27k lbs Winnebago, so we really never even felt the trailer back there. Even the flat, we must have gone a couple miles before noticing...

Back home, hooked up to it's regular tow vehicle ('91 Dodge 250) it sits level and looks "right". I haven't taken it out on the road yet. Too populated here to chance it without the tags.

moose53

How did it tow at highway speeds. I'm going up this weekend to tow back a M101a2 with my E250. I towed my M101a1 about 5 miles once but not at highway speeds.
I did not have any problems registering the A2 as I had a SF97 for it. The A1 the DMV had to think a little harder but did register it.
I've towed my M101A1 on 250 mile trips 3 times now, at highway speeds (65-70) without any problems. Tracked nicely, no swing or sway. Tow vehicle was a F150 Pick-up. If everything is okay with the trailer you shouldn't have any trouble.

Jim

RJM27

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Tow's great at speed

If you are prepared and you are towing level, you will forget they are behind you. These were towed 65-75mph for 200 miles, no problems. It is also helpful if the brakes are working!!!!!!!!!
Bob.:doh:

Attachments

RJM27

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's helpful if your GL guy knows what they are doing. I carry a couple of 25' chains and GL flipped it over than criss cross the chains , they pick it up suspend it, then lower it in place over the 2X2 in the 4-corner pockets. If it wasn't for Kevin it would of never happened.
Bob.

namedpipes

OK, but how did you get them apart once you got home?!rofl

Update on my own trailer - registered, lighted and working. It tows nicely on the road and highway. For some reason though, whenever I go out with it in tow, people seem to stare a lot.

My VIN is three numbers long and *another* trailer already had that vin. The registry prefaced the numbers with my initials to make it unique, so the registration would go through, and then called their own "help desk" to modify the vin after the fact. Took a little while but I got it done in one visit.

RJM27

Steel Soldiers Supporter
OK, but how did you get them apart once you got home?!rofl

Update on my own trailer - registered, lighted and working. It tows nicely on the road and highway. For some reason though, whenever I go out with it in tow, people seem to stare a lot.

My VIN is three numbers long and *another* trailer already had that vin. The registry prefaced the numbers with my initials to make it unique, so the registration would go through, and then called their own "help desk" to modify the vin after the fact. Took a little while but I got it done in one visit.
Well if you don't have a loader, or can drive to a shop or site contractor, you can do what I did with my second set. Unbolted, pryed up and put 2X2 blocks, used saws-all cut the 4-corner 2X2 blocks in pocket, tipped traile slid off and then flipped it over with chain and vehicle, also helped to have it in a ditch as well. There pretty tuff.
Bob.:jumpin:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks