• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M101 trailer modification question

ccf460

I just picked up an M101 (A1 i think), it has the M37 style wheels/tires. I want the wheels to match 8 lug cucv type. I don't want to have to carry 2 different spares. I have an opportunity to pick up a pair of 8 lug axles from the A2/3 trailer type. Am I ruining a trailer people want? Should I sell it to someone who wants it for what it is?,then buy the trailer I need. Am I desecrating a trailer? Or, am I safe in modifying this thing to fit my needs? Don't want to ruin something rare, I am more of a 2.5 ton guy and these smaller trailers are new to me. Thanks.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Those trailers are great! I have deuces and 5tons, but 4 of the 101 trailers. If you want the 8bolt pattern, swap out for an A2 or A3 axle. You can add surge brakes too if you like. I added a surge brake assembly from an A2 to my A1. No big deal.

3dAngus

I would just sell it to a buyer who wants it for his m37 or Korean War period piece and the matching 5 lug wheels, which are getting harder to find, then for just $100-200 more or so, you can get your m101a2 with surge brakes.
If you were in this area and the wheels were as good as mine, i would just swap you plus the $100-200( surge brake addition).
It all depends on the condition of each when you do those things, but the essense of it all is, there really isnt that much difference in price in my area because you get older history and wheels on one, and newer wheels and surge brakes on the other, giving offsetting cost.

Just another idea...makes no big difference what you do with it. They're not sacred or anything and I dont think anyone will be to upset with you whatever you decide to do with it. What would be your asking price on the trailer? Pictures would help determine best method too.

ccf460

Trailer condition is fair to good,with side boards . I even have a spare wheel/tire. I don't think i want to try to sell it after hearing the replies thus far. If i could trade it for what i want, then i wouldn't swap the axle.

3dAngus

OK, then, if you're not needing to get it done tomorrow, you might want to consider putting it up in the classifieds as a swap.
Somebody may be more interested in an A1 then their A2
Very unlikely you will ever get a trade on a A3 though as they are Golden.
Good luck with it, and put up pictures if you swap axles out.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks