• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1010 12 volt conversion finished

leisman7

Warthog does this write up work for the m1010 as well?
The M1010 Ambulance and the M1009 Blazer are two totally different animals. The electrical system is the major difference.

More than likely the teacher you are talking about did the Roscommon Equipment Company 12v conversion.

Roscommon Equipment Center

The 12v conversion is listed under
Project list
Military Vehicle Projects
Conversion of theM1008 and M1009 Electric System to 12v

http://www.roscommonequipmentcenter.com/news_notes/nn10.pdf

chevymike

Adding my wiring diagram that I used on this M1010 build. This might not fit your needs if you do your setup different than I did mine but I was asked about it and I cannot paste it into a PM. This is a single alt, dual batteries with a isolator between the batteries but would be connected when the key was turned on. Did this so if one battery went bad, it could not drain the other battery.

M1010-12v-SingleAlt.jpg

RumRunner742

Soo........... I'm gonna revive a decade old dead thread and ask this to become a sticky
Adding my wiring diagram that I used on this M1010 build. This might not fit your needs if you do your setup different than I did mine but I was asked about it and I cannot paste it into a PM. This is a single alt, dual batteries with a isolator between the batteries but would be connected when the key was turned on. Did this so if one battery went bad, it could not drain the other battery.

View attachment 836980
All pictures and the diagram are here. Thanks :beer:

MarcusOReallyus

When converting to 12v, remember that you are asking half the voltage to do the same amount of work (turning over a 6.2 diesel) that the old 24v starter was doing. Since you have half the voltage, you need twice the amperage. (Ohm's Law)

That means you need BIGGER CABLES. Otherwise, you are starving your starter motor and it won't be able to spin the engine as fast as it should. This will cause starting problems.

I suspect this is the biggest reason that many people who go 12v start complaining about starting problems. If your other components (like glow plugs) are at all marginal, you'll have problems that the 24v system would not have, because it's spinning the motor faster (which means it's generating more heat on the compression stroke for each cylinder).

No, I did NOT say that 24v starters spin faster than 12v starters. A properly wired 12v starter will spin just as fast as a properly wired 24v starter.

But if you do not upgrade your cables as part of a 12v conversion, your 12v starter is not properly wired.

Your cables will be too small, and your starter will not spin at the correct speed.

Take a look at any 12v diesel - the cables are much bigger than our CUCV cables. This is why.

I've had really good customer service, quality, and prices getting custom cables made by BestBoatWire.com

chevymike

When converting to 12v, remember that you are asking half the voltage to do the same amount of work (turning over a 6.2 diesel) that the old 24v starter was doing. Since you have half the voltage, you need twice the amperage. (Ohm's Law)

That means you need BIGGER CABLES. Otherwise, you are starving your starter motor and it won't be able to spin the engine as fast as it should. This will cause starting problems.

I suspect this is the biggest reason that many people who go 12v start complaining about starting problems. If your other components (like glow plugs) are at all marginal, you'll have problems that the 24v system would not have, because it's spinning the motor faster (which means it's generating more heat on the compression stroke for each cylinder).

No, I did NOT say that 24v starters spin faster than 12v starters. A properly wired 12v starter will spin just as fast as a properly wired 24v starter.

But if you do not upgrade your cables as part of a 12v conversion, your 12v starter is not properly wired.

Your cables will be too small, and your starter will not spin at the correct speed.

Take a look at any 12v diesel - the cables are much bigger than our CUCV cables. This is why.

I've had really good customer service, quality, and prices getting custom cables made by BestBoatWire.com
Yep 100% agree. I did not know about this issue back when I did this project on my first M1010. I will be upgrading cables on my current M1010. Bought 2/0 gauge wire, which is more than acceptable for the load and length.

Good reminder for those going to 12v systems.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor

Absolutely Right!

And on a 24v system with multiple batteries - trying to be cheap and buy those "parts house" cheap cables in the little package hangin on the pegboard hook won't work either.

Bigger is better when it comes to battery cables in my experience.

Mad Texan

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sorry if this is a "dumb" question, but i'm new here and wouldn't want to get this wrong. Other than the wires to the starter motor, are there any other wires that need to be upgraded when doing this 12v conversion?
I would add the alternator output wires for the increased output. As well, I would and did upgrade the ground wires to 6ga 1) from the battery to the rad support and 2) from the rad support to the frame. I upgraded the alternator ground wires to 4ga.

Any time you come across a ground on these old trucks, clean it and make sure it's secure... :cool:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks