• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1010 Adventures

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm having too much fun in the 1010 not to share the adventure. The latest stroke of genius was to see how deep she'd go. Videos will be posted soon.

If I had any mud experience I would have made it but instead it turned out better then success, learning how to recover buried toys.

Attachments

Mohawk Dave

Awesome truck! Good to see others having real fun with their trucks.

P.S. As I'm sure you learned, when playing in mud holes, hook your snatch strap up and wrap it up on grill guard (or in your case wrap around mirror) or throw in back if hooked on rear bumper d-rings. That way you don't have to hook up under mud.

Happy Trails,

Dave

Last edited:

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
M1010 rescues stuck Terex

Affirmative on the plaid pants and flip flops. My niece chose the man for love, certainly not for style.

A video of the Terex rescue on the tube. The 1010 has made everything look boring and easy so far. More to come.

After the M1010's extraction she got immediate grease on every nipple, finger dipped diffs for cream, checked vent tubes and t-case.....then drove her like a grandma.:p

She sat in the water for a few hours so the surprise was ours that nothing went wrong....this time.

Must extend vent tubes.

Priorities Stan!!

Had to wash the crap off her because she posed for pictures tonight.

"MV Reflections in the pond" hilarious

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqECmW6e8OI[/media]

Attachments

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
1010 goes BC fishin

Loaded up the 1010 and pulled her for 5 hours to the Valemont BC area. Set up camp at Canoe River Campground which would be a great stop for those coming up for the Alaska Highway tour in 2012.

Backed her into the Kinbasket lake for a day of fishin and rock climbing then up to the 5000' mark of Yellow Jacket Mountain.

Attachments

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
M1010 stuck and muc videos

Next time, faster

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZqvDw_vYDQ[/media]

Cool Camera shot of the chassis

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XCK9Si4A5g[/media]

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
"Do Over"

It's all kind of an adventure so this is surely the right place to ask an important question. I did a search first.
After neglecting the M1010 for months or years I finally got a chance to pay some attention to the 'to do' list. I always wanted to add gauges so I started pushing wire and tubing through the fire-wall.

The problem today was I'd put my head down to get at the fire wall and every time I came up for air the "do over" sign would flash on top of the radiator. I'd go back down and do it again, come back up for air and BAM "Do over" on the top of the rad.

I've been at it for hours and re-done everything so many times I'm sure I have it right.....BUT IT'S STILL THERE.......

DO OVER, DO OVER........

No, seriously........it's not that important but does anyone have "DO OVER" written on the front clip and have any idea why or what had to be "done over"?????

Attachments

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do Over

Thanks Danger, I guess it will remain a mystery. I can't imagine why the motor-pool would paint 'do over' on anything. I was told the truck was used for training.

I thought it was funny but maybe it's the only M1010 that needs a do over......over.

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do Not Overfill

Ya sorry, NOT chain Yankin but tryin to have some fun with it....the paint must have scrubbed off and a few guesses were ventured....but none as logical as that.

Thanks for the 'logic'. . . she's missing some lettering like the words Not and Fill.

You're the best capt.

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
M1010 Dana 60 parts list

Finally found a chance to adventure into the front diff and ordered up some parts.

Our 'parts guy' and previous M1010 owner are still involved in her existence and provided a great, complete list of parts to maintain or replace....after driving it in a lake.

The lists in the photos include NAT part #'s and prices so 'budget numbers' can be compared.

Bearings, races and seals for the Dana 60
2 photos of the same list for clarity

Attachments

Last edited:

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Dana 60 neglect/remedy

The main reason to read the Technical Manuals TM's and follow Preventative Maintenance PM's is captured in the photos below.

A few photos of a Dana 60 tear-down and the results of water and time.

Attachments

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
M1010 Adventure for the Vets.

Veterans Voices of Canada hosted a Veterans Appreciation Day and asked the local MVPA to attend. The M1010 was ready for an adventure and we met with four other "local" MV'ers, some who already traveled 50 miles to get to the convoy staging point.
Our trip took us south of Edmonton roughly 100 miles to Sylvan Lake. Our slowest unit was the M38 and 48mph was the top speed, downhill. On the 70mph highway our largest unit took up the rear.

Our 5 truck convoy, spaced roughly 3 seconds apart, opening or closing space at on-ramps to allow traffic to flow between us and into the passing lane was a great success. We drove 2 hrs to get to an event to honor guys that have driven a battle, their entire lives, so I could drive for 2 hours. A huge honor for all of us to meet these vets.

To hear the stories from the boys who either drove or rode in the M1010 made every minute a visit back with them in time.

Here's an attempt of a video trying to capture the moment.
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98AhGf09tSM[/media]

A proud M1010, with one who made it home.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks