• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m1010 alternator/electrical help

azdiesel

Been driving my 1010 around everyday to try to get a good feel for it and work the bugs out. Took it on one little overnight camping trip and it did great. Anyway, here is what I've done to it, and my issue. I replaced both batteries with 2 group 31 yellow top optima deep cycle batteries. I also replaced as many of the battery cables as I could with 2/0 cables because the old cables were corroded. I also did the starter relay mod as well as got the glow plug system working with the proper napa relay and new GP card from glow plug card.com or whatever it was. The glow plug light blinks 4-5 times, but starts right up no problem. I assume its correct. Also, the engine noticeable spun over quicker after replacing the batteries and cables.

Everything has been working fine until I let it sit for about 4 days and the batteries were too dead to start it. So, I charged them and continued driving it everyday since which has been about 2-3 days. And then then today I drove the 11 miles to work fine. After work the truck spun over for a second and quit. All the dash lights were dim. And it would not even spin over at all. It wouldn't even engage the starter. So, I tried to jump start it with a 24v jumper we have on our service truck at work. Nothing. I then grabbed a bolt meter and the front battery had 7 volts. And the rear had 12. So, I jumped the front battery with 12 volts and it started.

Driving it home the amp gauge is almost in the red. Normally its mid green. Got home and again checked batteries with volt meter while running. Front battery is 11 volts. Rear battery is 27. I checked all the wires at the blue box and a few had 11volts.

Does this mean I lost my top alternator? Bottom alt is charging 27v.
Or did I lose the duvac blue box?
What should I do?
Should I do the "planB" mod?
Or replace the alternator and/or keep the duvac?
Where do I find parts?

I'd kinda like to keep it original because I like the 24v option and I already invested $85+ in the GP system. But I just want it dependable because I plan to go to some very remote areas this summer. Any opinions, thoughts, or suggestions are greatly appreciated. I apoligize for the long post. I just wanted to lay down the facts and convey the effort I've already put into it. I've been reading till my eyes bleed, but from what I understand is the 1010 electrics are slightly different from the rest? Hence my uncertainty. I've learned so much already but I'm unsure which path to choose at this point. Thank you in advance.