• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1010 Campulance

Mad Texan

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's a work in progress but getting there...

Attachments

Mad Texan

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Need details on your cabinets and is your bed on drawer slides?
What would you like to know about the cabinets? The bed is a basic sliding platform with a couple of inserts to give the full width of almost a queen size.

Attachments

Mad Texan

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The cabinets look like they are modular?? Lack of better words. Channel, wood and hardware make it as you want?
Basically they are... extruded aluminum with wood panels that I made. I designed what I wanted interior wise and implemented it. Tinker Toys for big boys :LOL:

Attachments

Mad Texan

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Would you mind sharing your source?
For the software I started with this: https://www.framexpert.com/products/framedesigner/download/ . I started with the 80/20 version which is no longer supported, it to this day has more options for 1" fittings than the newer version.

My first order I did with a local 80/20 distributor. I learned a lot from the experience with how they design some things compared to how I would design. It cost me more but it was helpful. Afterwards I started using Tnutz.com which was cheaper and had a better turn around. But you have to know how you want things to go together as you tell them how you want things machined. They have all the most common accessories for connections but for some unique ones you will need to go to 80/20.

A lot of people are using the extruded aluminum for van builds as it's very adaptable and you can use your imagination to build what you want.

G744

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Years ago I bought an M109A2 at a DRMO sale at the Alameda base in Cal. My winning bid was $1,256.12

It had been converted into a General's (Gen. Hendrix) motorhome in Nuremberg, according to a small dataplate.inside.

Off to Desert Shield it went, along with a lot of 1st Armored gear.

Twin air-ride seats, a powered cooler between them. It was fully wood paneled in the rear, with a Hitachi A/C system, 5 field phones, wardrobe, bed, and desk. A fold-down steel platform was built on the rear of the box.

The craziest thing was the paintjob: Looked to have been done with white latex paint and a mop, with Saudi sand tossed on it when still wet. Some places were almost an inch thick. It looked like Hell, but was great camo.

I has lucky to find some original Army paperwork in the glovebox with lots of history, even listing the drivers.

We got it running fine, and drove it back from Oakland to Phoenix.

I could never spend more than a few minutes in the back without getting a real headache, as it smelled like chemicals. Turns out it had to have been near some sort gas attack, verified by a friend that was over there back then.

It was sold to a cop in Los Angeles.

Now back to your regularly scheduled program.

DG

Rhino 5/4

Years ago I bought an M109A2 at a DRMO sale at the Alameda base in Cal. My winning bid was $1,256.12

It had been converted into a General's (Gen. Hendrix) motorhome in Nuremberg, according to a small dataplate.inside.

Off to Desert Shield it went, along with a lot of 1st Armored gear.

Twin air-ride seats, a powered cooler between them. It was fully wood paneled in the rear, with a Hitachi A/C system, 5 field phones, wardrobe, bed, and desk. A fold-down steel platform was built on the rear of the box.

The craziest thing was the paintjob: Looked to have been done with white latex paint and a mop, with Saudi sand tossed on it when still wet. Some places were almost an inch thick. It looked like Hell, but was great camo.

I has lucky to find some original Army paperwork in the glovebox with lots of history, even listing the drivers.

We got it running fine, and drove it back from Oakland to Phoenix.

I could never spend more than a few minutes in the back without getting a real headache, as it smelled like chemicals. Turns out it had to have been near some sort gas attack, verified by a friend that was over there back then.

It was sold to a cop in Los Angeles.

Now back to your regularly scheduled program.

DG
That's cool. I love stuff like that that you can find history on.

Mad Texan

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A continuation from the other day! Some painting to lighten up the doors and the second folding tray installed. Lots of surfaces to work with now! I also finally installed some struts on the big cabinet doors to limit how far they open. ✔‘ing stuff off the list! I got another delivery from down under today! I’d been debating this purchase for a while and finally decided to pull the trigger. Doing some test fitting, I originally intended to put the Travel Buddy under the wall cabinet but, I didn’t like it there. I finally decided I liked it over the window and it keeps the counter open. 🇺🇸🇺🇸🥓🥓🥃🥃 #M1010 #cucv

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks